What does the serial number mean?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by myriad360, Jan 26, 2009.

1. myriad360 macrumors newbie

I am eagerly awaiting my replacement phone, and I am wondering if it is the 3G 16GB they are giving me, or if they had a stock of 16 GB 1Gs. They sent me the serial of the new one, but I don't know what it means. Anyone know how to determine if it is 1G or 3G off a serial alone? Thanks!

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Your replacement should be the same model/capacity/color as your broken one. If not, raise hell.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If you had a iPhone 2G, you will get an iPhone 2G. If you had an iPhone 3G, you'll get an iPhone 3G.

Apple rarely, if ever, will upgrade you to a new model when getting a replacement.

4. myriad360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, oh well. My old one was pretty sweet before I toasted it, but I was just curious. Oh well! Thanks! They did an awesome job with getting it fixed, definitely happy with Apple. Time to go spend the money I thought I would have to spend on a new phone in the Apple store!

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Apple has no choice to do an upgrade if they are out of the previous models.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Are you saying that they will? They won't. They'll tell you that you have to wait until they get more in stock or call a nearby store. They hardly ever will upgrade you to the newest model just for a repair or exchange.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

Maybe you didn't understand my post. Apple will have no choice to upgrade you, if and only if, they no longer carry the previous model or parts for the previous model to replace. What else could they give a person otherwise? Well I guess they could give them replacement value.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Your post didn't make sense.

That never happens, by the way. They keep a large backstock of parts and models for repair, exchange, etc. And if such a situation were to occur, it is more than likely the product is out-of-warranty, thus requiring the user to pay nearly full price for a replacement. They will not just give you an upgraded model unless someone is feeling particularly nice and that is extremely rare.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Agreed. This rings especially true since if he were to be upgraded he'd have to start paying $10 extra/month for 3G service and no text (assuming he's in the US).

10. deadsouls macrumors regular

you are kind of not smart.

11. myriad360 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think people might be slightly missing my initial question too. I don't expect a free upgrade just for the heck of it. But I thought it would have been a bit odd that Apple would still have a stock of 2G 16GB (is that 1G or 2G?), just for RMAs. Unless they just didn't sell. Since I paid $500 for the 16 GB phone in March, and the 16 GB 3G is $300, I couldn't imagine them being too worried about keeping me from an upgrade. The RMA only took 1 day, so unless they had a stock of old 16 GB phones sitting around (which is entirely possible), then I was thinking I was just getting a 16 GB of whatever they had.

But I guess no one really had an answer to my real question, and that was if the serial meant anything specific. If 1G, 2G, and 3G phones had different numbers in their serials, I could tell you right now.

Guess we'll see today!

12. myriad360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah. Alright. If they do keep a large backstock, then you are most likely right. The phone was not out of warranty, they replaced it without questions. 1 day turn around on the RMA. Just in case anyone else is interested in their repair process. I have worked with Dell repair and others as well, and Apple has been the best by far. Pretty impressed.

13. myriad360 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Well, this thread could have been about 11 posts shorter.

15. myriad360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure could. However, my question was whether you could identify an iPhone solely using the serial number. No one has indicated that you could or not yet, so even though the thread is longer that it should be, the arrival of my comment did not signify the answer. As far as anyone searching the web is concerned, no, iPhone serials are completely random per this thread. Look else where.

Plus, some people in this forum seem like they have had a rough week. Lighten up a little. I am a new Mac user, and I definitely appreciate there products a lot more now. In many ways, better than everything else. But the user base? No impressed yet. Where is that Mac utopia I have heard so much about?

16. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

That was marketing, you have been duped. Mac users are jerks just like everybody else. :)

17. myriad360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha ha ha ha, alright. Well, as good a group of jerks as any I suppose.

18. mpolor916 macrumors newbie

Serial number means on apple products

Ok, i forgot in what exact order, but i do know what the serial numbers are for. The serial number was ofcourse was for identity reasons when you register your apple products online and send in for repair. Apple receives hundreds of apple products for repairs.
    The serial number was also tend for the manufacturing company that builds it.
    all we see is numbers, but to them, they see what part of the manufacturing line was build, what section of line, what product, what model of product, and also the year.
    Its been a long time since someone has asked me so i forgot how it goes in order but thats what apple see in your Serial number.