What does the SMC_RST switch LOOK like?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fairnymph, Dec 3, 2007.

1. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I found where it says that text on my mobo, but it's obviously filled with lots of little electronic parts, and there is no arrow, or anything that looks overtly like a switch to me.

Edit: Found a pic online. I pressed the button, while the computer was shut down but plugged in. It did seem to depress VERY slightly - how much pressure do I need to apply? I've heard I should see a light flash; I saw no such thing.

Help?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

A little pressure is all it takes. A fingernail is best, it won't depress very far. No, there's no light flash that I know of (in this case, I think a light flash would be a BAD thing to see!)

3. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Yeah well it didn't help, regardless. I am going absolutely nuts.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

5. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Computer won't sleep (not when idle, and not on command), fans spin up randomly literally hundreds of times a day. It has doubled my electricity bill.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If its still under warranty i would have apple look at it. As it sounds like you reset the SMC correctly.....another way to do it is unplug it from the wall for atleast 15 seconds. You could try resetting the PRAM but i don't think thats the problem. Most likely you will need to contact apple.