What does the Touch take away from todays announcements?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sportsfrk214, Mar 6, 2008.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I'm just a little confused, because I'm reading about today's announcments, and its iPhone this, iPhone that. What does the iPod Touch get from today's announcements? How much of this relates to the iPod? Is it mostly the same?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

It's all the same, except the iPod Touch 2.0 firmware upgrade will be for a "nominal fee", the amount of which has not yet been announced. It's free for the iPhone because of federal accounting requirements for products that are accounted for on a subscription model (like the iPhone and AppleTV) vs. non-subscription model (like the iPod Touch) prohibits free updates for non-subscription products.

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

It probably will just take $20 from my wallet.

4. TouchPodium.com macrumors newbie

Well, at the end of the Roadmap Presentation, if you were to watch it, you'd hear that Steve Jobs informs us all that everything he just said throughout the entire presentation - goes for the iPod Touch as well - it's just - we have to pay for the features while the iPhone users get off Scott-free.... :rolleyes:

5. hansvon macrumors member

To be fair, the iPhone users are already paying $70+ a month just to keep their device operable :rolleyes:

6. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

To be fair, they're getting cellular service, too.

7. Diwata macrumors newbie

Diwata

With this upgrade, I think Apple is encouraging customers to opt for iPhone instead of going for the Touch hence, the fee. Presumably to satisfy AT&T as well & other carriers who contracted iPhone exclusively. More iPhone users, more rebates for Apple ie iPhone revenues.

8. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

And to be fair, Apple is getting some monthly revenue from the carrier, plus they're accounting for iPhone revenue over 24 months so they don't violate federal laws in giving it to us for free. :)

But considering that the AppleTV revenue is accounted for over time, I do wonder if at some point they might switch the iPod Touch to that model too so they can offer free upgrades to promote use of the Touch platform (whether iPhone or iPod Touch).