Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
In the Airport Menu options. What does it do? I tried searchin it in Help, but couldn't find anythin'.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
If I had to guess, it might shorten the receiver range so that errant signals are less likely to be picked up.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
From apple

Apple said:
Base station Interference Robustness, which provides improved performance when 2.4GHz devices like cordless phones and wireless video distribution system cause significant interference with the AirPort network.

image.php

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah, thanks for the link... but I think SamIchi was more interested in what it actually is doing to reduce interference. I stand by my original theory: The base reduces it's receiver's range.

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
How it works

The answer is that Orinoco provided a settable option in their PMCIA to give robustness against microwave ovens. We believe that this option is the one that Apple calls "interference robustness". The key to this option is that microwave ovens have a strong periodic component to their radiated power. For 60Hz ovens, at least,, they spend 8.3ms radiating strongly, and 8.3ms being quiet, out of a 16.6ms period. Now, if a PMCIA sees interference, it'll slow down the transmission more and more. At some point, the packet size takes longer than 8.3ms to get out, and such long packets will get whacked every single time (at least by a 60Hz oven) - not just occasionally. What the option does, I think, is to prevent the PMCIA from ever backing off to packet sizes that are longer than this. Clever. Basically keep the PMCIA from shooting itself in the foot as it valiantly tries to keep up.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
All I know is that it doesnt work. My 2.4 ghz phone still makes the Wifi connection cut out when ever im on it. Sucks that I have no internet for those long hold times.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Koodauw said:
All I know is that it doesnt work. My 2.4 ghz phone still makes the Wifi connection cut out when ever im on it. Sucks that I have no internet for those long hold times.

try to change channels on both the phone and on your wireless signal and that should help too

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
PlaceofDis said:
try to change channels on both the phone and on your wireless signal and that should help too

Some phones actually spread over multiple frequencies to make it hard for evesdropping. The interference robustness doesn't work for me either. However, once I moved the router closer to the computer, the phone and microwave never causes me any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.