What does this button in the Mail app do? [Answered]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by M-5, Mar 27, 2011.

1. M-5, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

So I'm really confused as to what the mail app does to my messages when I click this button:

[​IMG]
    http://img200.imageshack.us/f/imagexcz.jpg/

It's the button on the right side with an arrow pointing inside a box. When I click it, my message apparently moves from my inbox into some other place where I can't find it. Its just not an intuitive button for me, and I always confuse it with the other button that moves the message into another folder of my choosing.

I've looked at the Guided Tour of the mail app on Apple's website as well as the iPad user guide online, but they don't seem to cover this button. I noticed that on the video online, that button is replaced with a trash can button instead, but I only see that happen to my app if I'm in a different folder other than my inbox. I've also checked the trash to see if the message moves there, but it doesn't. (I've checked spam too). It seems odd to me, because I only have one inbox set up, and it's a gmail inbox.

2. myoldwatermill macrumors member

All I can tell you is that it archives it...

where the archives are kept, is beyond me. :confused:

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It happens if you have your Gmail set up to "Archive" messages instead of deleting them. I had the same problem.

To change the setting go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Gmail (Under Accounts)>Archive Messages (OFF)

And there is no way to access your Archives box through Mail (in iOS or OSX) you have to go to the Gmail website.

4. M-5 thread starter macrumors 65816

M-5

Thank you, that seemed to do it. :)

5. rssfed23 macrumors member

If you enable the all mail imap folder in the gmail settings then your all mail (or archives folder) is available on both iOS and osx

6. M-5 thread starter macrumors 65816

M-5

Yeah my messages were being sent to the All-Mail folder, so now I have random messages laying there, and I don't even know which ones were archived by mistake. But it's okay.

7. Chapuys, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

Chapuys macrumors member

kuebby is incorrect, rssfed23 is correct.

Gmail's Archive folder is accessible in iOS and OS X titled "All Mail".

[​IMG]