What does this error mean?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emtp6811, Apr 6, 2007.

1. emtp6811 macrumors newbie

I have a new warning or error message that has started popping up on my macbook today. It only appears when I am in Safari, but it appears several times in a row and is a bit annoying. What does it mean? How do I fix it?

A screenshot is attached for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A DHCP server is usually provided by a home broadband router, its job is to give each computer an IP address (a unique identifier).

In this case, your DHCP server seems to be giving the same address to two computers. Alternatively (and this is more likely), one of your computers has the 192.168.1.100 address hard-coded into it, and the DHCP server is giving that same address to you.

Check your other computers and go to Sys Prefs > Network, and make sure that they're all set to use DHCP. If you have someone else knowledgeable in the house, I'd recommend checking with them first though :)

3. emtp6811 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually only have the laptop and a wireless printer, which is currently not set up becuase I did a clean re-install and have been too lazy to set up the printer again. No other computers at all. My wireless is not encrypted; is it another computer using my internet? If so, I would think I would have seen this warning before...

So in system prefs, is this what you are talking about? Unfortunately, I am the most knowledgable person in my home...:eek:

Attached Files:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you click on Renew DHCP Lease, does it change to something else?