What does this feature do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duction, Dec 14, 2015.

1. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

When you double click the home button and you get up the multi task window, but if you just double touch (touch not press inwards) the home button fast you get half the screen to move downwards?

2. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

It's called Reachability Mode so you can use the iPhone one handed.

3. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

The ratio is all wrong though lol.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

5. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

In what respect?

The top moves down so you reach it with your thumb. Simple and effective.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

7. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

Have a look how Samsung do it, what if you need to reach something on the far right (or left) depending which hand you hold your phone in. It's ok making the top scroll dow but what about the other axis?

8. chabig macrumors 68040

Your thumb reaches over there easily.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's a far shorter distance. Is it sincerely an issue for you, or do you simply prefer Samsung's solution?

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sorry but your hands must be small as I never use this feature and have no problem using my 6S+ with one hand. I think Apple got it right but if your hands are very small you will need to use two hands of get the 6S

11. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

I have a 6s+ but I do prefer samsungs approach, basically shrinks the screen down to the size of the original iPhone screen.

12. Skika macrumors 68030

But isnt that a little awkard as it makes the UI elements and buttons tinny? I prefer the apple approach.

13. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

Tiny like the original iPhone? Didn't see anyone complaining about the size back then.

14. Skika macrumors 68030

Its not the same, because the ui elements dont scale. They would be even tinnier than then on the original iphone.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Who isn't calm? You asked questions, and we gave you the answers.

If @Newtons Apple and myself weren't calm, it would be painfully obvious.

16. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I agree, only moving down simply doesn't work on the 6s Plus as you can't reach the far left side of the phone without adjusting your grip.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

May I suggest that Apple didn't design the 6s+ to be a one-handed device? It was very clear that Apple was perfectly happy with smaller form factors and reluctant to increase screen size for fear of sacrificing usability. The 5s was the last truly and universally accepted 1-handed device. Anything after/larger than that is a response to the market and consumers' desires. 1-handed use for all went out the window.

18. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I hated Samsung's approach on my Note 4. For one thing, the trigger it used was both a pain to remember as well as too easy to trigger inadvertently. Too many times it triggered while playing a game or whatnot.

I don't see how the iPhone's approach makes it harder to reach. With Samsung's, it shrinks the whole screen, yes, but the top left corner of the shrunken screen is further away than on the iPhone 6S with Reachability triggered.

Mike

19. Vicrooloo, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

Vicrooloo macrumors regular

True but the purpose of "reachability" is to help people to use their large phones with one hand.
    The OP isn't complaining that their phone is too big but that reachability could be better and I agree that it would be a better approach to shrink the whole screen (the way Samsung works) instead of pulling it down (the way reachability is now). But then again, Samsung has been in the big phone game for longer.

Side note: Wished OP could have just said this directly and immediately instead of beating around the bush asking "what does this feature do"