What does this Icon mean ..?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by star555, Jul 11, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

Still learning .. Ive just installed an application downloaded from the internet
    and draged the .dmg into my applications folder , but it only shows this Icon
    any ideas what I am doing wrong when trying to install a new appliction ..?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If the application is designed to run under the architecture you're running and you're under Leopard, I've seen this happen quite a lot.

If you run the application the proper icon will appear in the Dock as well. I suggest that you log out and back in again.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

that sometimes happens. providing the app works on your architecture it usually opens fine but its just the appearance of the icon that is annoying.

try relaunching Finder by option-right clicking on its dock icon or trashing the app then dragging it to your Applications folder again.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

also, you said you dragged the .dmg to the applications folder? there is no need for that. all you need to do is mount the disk image, drag the application to your drive/applications folder, unumount and trash the disk image. you could be getting this due to installing the software improperly.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I done the same thing when I first switched :D

But I get this when I first install an application, it's a bug in Leopard and it eventually goes away and always goes away after a reboot.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Don't worry, it will go away, normally after you run the app.