what does this mean (message from CONSOLE)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GilesM, Apr 25, 2009.

1. GilesM macrumors 6502

Can anyone clarify what this message means;

"Apr 16 14:30:39 giles-moriartys-imac Firewall[48]: Stealth Mode connection attempt to TCP <my IP address> from 212.72.49.156:443"

Am i right in thinking that my firewall is doing it's job and blocking connection attempts from 212.72.49.156:443?

PS I have edit out my own IP address inn the quote above.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably just a webserver sending a request to your machine.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The IP traces back to the Netherlands, but with so many people using proxies, who knows. Port 443 is for secure network transmissions. It could be someone trying to make a random connection to your machine. I don't have any messages in my Console referring to Stealth Mode and I do have that turned on. If you open System Preferences > Security > Advanced > Open Log and see if there's anything there that may give more clues. But, since the connection was blocked there shouldn't be anything to worry about as long as stealth mode did like it's suppose to and didn't transmit anything back.

4. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both for your answers. I guess that since stealth mode is active then I should not worry too much.
    I will just keep an eye on it for a while and see.

regards, and thanks again...

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you were seeing a whole bunch of those messages you might want to get more worried, but if it's just one it's probably nothing.