What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jackhdev, Apr 1, 2012.

1. jackhdev macrumors 6502

I'm looking for an internship and received an email from an employee at a company I am interested in. Here is part of it:

At this time, all employees are required to be eighteen years of age or older. We do have internships available for students studying secondary education; these are often 6 month co-op terms.

I'm under 18, which is why the second part is included in the message. What exactly does "secondary" mean? From my knowledge (and others'), it means high school, but my advisor (who obviously knows a lot more than me), said it means for college. Thanks.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think it differs in different parts of the world, but in America at least, secondary edu is college.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

At least in this context it sounds correct. AFAIK high school is just common knowledge stuff, i.e. no specialization. In college you start to specialize in some certain field, and then you can usually get an internship at the same field.

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

In the UK, secondary school and high school are the same thing. So it depends on where you are.

5. jackhdev thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. I'm in the US, and while secondary school means high school, college does make a lot more sense in that context. I'll ask them to clarify, but I'm now sure that it is probably college.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

actually Secondary education in the U.S. means middle school and high school. it may vary state to state but overall that is what it applies to.

7. jackhdev thread starter macrumors 6502

They emailed me back and explained that they meant to say post-secondary education, as in college and the university level.

So yes, secondary means high school.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yep.
    Primary = grade school (usually K-6)
    Secondary = 7-12 (again, usually)
    Post-secondary = undergrad
    Post-graduate = grad school

I'm confident that a simple search could turn up this info from various sources.