What does this mean?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cold_Steel, May 14, 2007.

1. Cold_Steel macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have suddenly got this message when I boot in OS X everytime:

SYSTEM EXTENSION CANNOT BE USED.

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

It comes up in a dialog box with a yellow triangle with an exclamtion mark in it. Any ideas on what it means and how I can sort this kernel issue out?

Many thanks,

Matt

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

To be honest i don't know sounds like something got messed up. Have you installed anything to modify/monitor the CPU speed/number or anything of the sort?

I would either repair permissions to see if that sorts it or reapply the latest 10.4.9 update.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For once, it actually seems to be the right advice... repair permissions.

Open Disk Utility (in /applications/utilities), select the boot HD, and click the button marked repair permissions. Depending on your account characteristics, you may be asked to provide an admin username and password. Let it do its thing. You will get a list of the permissions that were corrected; see if that's on the list. If it is, reboot, and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't work, go to Apple's website, download the 10.4.9 combo updater that's appropriate to your architecture (PPC/Intel) and re-run that (just run it over your current install) and see if it solves the problem.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Indeed, so often "repair permissions" get banded around as a magical cure for EVERYTHING.

Thanks mkrishnan for going into detail about the steps, feeling a little lazy tonight.

It may be a problem caused by the fact that you are using a C2D in the Mac Mini.

Little google research only brings up Hackintoshes.

5. Cold_Steel thread starter macrumors member

Firstly guys, MANY thanks for your input!

Right I have tried repair permissions to no avail, even tried it through CD booting.

I thought it could have been the C2D so i took it out and replaced the priginal 1.66 C1D and again its the same thing.

I reckon the overlay of 10.4.9 may have to be done.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

How easy is it to swap your processor, also how much was it if you don't mind answering.

7. Cold_Steel thread starter macrumors member

Well surprise surprise its started doing it again. I have updated to 10.4.9 and kept the original CPU in and it seemed to work fine, no message after sevral restarts and shut downs but no its doing it again. what is it guys?

It cost me about £140 for the new chip ans it was just a case of opening up the Mini and hot swapping it.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Was hoping reapplying the 10.4.9 update would resolve this issue.

Did you do anything noticeably different before it came back or was it just normal usage.

Do you have any peripherals connected

Is there anything untoward in your system.log - open up Console in Utilites folder and may be post some relevant results from there.

You could try booting into Verbose mode to see if that brings anything up.

This is a little out of my league but will try and help as much as possible.

9. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Wait. We're having issues with a kernel extension and we're swapping out CPUs?

Hello? Am i missing something?

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As i said this is out of my area of experience and I merely suggested that it may be causing the issue because any updates 10.4.9 etc. won't be expecting such a configuration.

From your post it seems as if you would know a possible solution but for some reason you didn't post, why not? What do you suggest?

11. Cold_Steel thread starter macrumors member

Indeed I have thought this, so I have swapped back my CPU a few times now, and still the same issue.

SO...

I borrowed my friends mac mini, with the EXACT same specs but he wanted to do a fresh install of Tiger, so I migrated over my Tiger and all was well for a few hours. I did limited usage on the computer, web browsing, itunes burning and some Neo Office work, nothing to CPU or system intensive. Rebooted and shut down a few times and there it was again. Same message.

Nothing in verbose boot mode, nothing with fsck and nothing in the logs.

Im truly stumped. I have been using macs for seven years and have not been able to not sort out a problem.

Thanks for the contiunal input though guys, really appreciate it.

Matt