Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLO

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Hi,

I get this message often.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 149

MLO

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
What does this mean

I am using a wireless connection. not sure what the other's mean

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
I am using a wireless connection. not sure what the other's mean

What other computer do you have connected to the same network? That is wireless AND wired computers, network printers, etc. As it has been pointed out by kingjr3 another machine is using the same IP.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
Firstly, you should have used the crosshairs when taking your screenshot and selected the error message box, and not your whole screen, it's pretty hard to see! The shortcut to do that is Command-Shift-4.

Ok... now, your best bet to fix this issue, is to assign a specific IP to your computer. You can do this by going into your System preferences > network.

As shown here. (click on the screenshot on the page for the next screenshot)
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/11/07/screenshot-simulation-os-x-105-leopard-network-settings/

Assign an IP to your connection.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Ok... now, your best bet to fix this issue, is to assign a specific IP to your computer. You can do this by going into your System preferences > network.

Not a good idea as you may cause the same issue for a different device on the network.

If the OP is using DHCP, then the best bet would be to find the person with the statically assigned IP and change that config.

OP, is this a network you control?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have this same problem! I'm on a network I control, using DHCP to assign addresses. When I assign a static IP to a device I make darn well sure that it is outside the range of dynamic IPs the router uses... but these messages will not go away. :confused:

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
If the router is accessible I would check which IP are assigned to which devices and then correct the problem (by either using DHCP everywhere or setting the IP outside the DHCP IP range). How you do it depends on which routers one have.
IF everything seems to be correct try restarting the router.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I have this same problem! I'm on a network I control, using DHCP to assign addresses. When I assign a static IP to a device I make darn well sure that it is outside the range of dynamic IPs the router uses... but these messages will not go away. :confused:

Try clearing your caches and PRAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.