what does this mean??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AeroBar, Jul 2, 2009.

1. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It means you have two computers trying to use the same MAC address to connect to your router. This suggests either a VM/BootCamp issue or somehow your computer's MAC address is being spoofed somewhere else on the network.

Were you just using your MB in Windows via VM or BootCamp to connect to the internet?

2. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was having problems getting my mother's MacBook to connect to the internet, and then I took my desktop offline and it wouldn't reconnect either.
    it then just sorted itself out.
    no windows or bootcamping around here though.
    so it wasn't someone else "hacking" in then??

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not likely

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Being hacked, most likely not. The only time that method of hacking would really happen/show up is if you use MAC filtering as the only method or coupled with WEP to "secure" your network.

Chances are the router just hiccuped.

5. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

simple thing to do is power cycle your router, that will free up the addresses.

7. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I believe it means you have two computers trying to use the same IP address at the same time. The Mac you are using and the machine with MAC address 00:23:bc:91:fa:2f.

Open a terminal window and type "ifconfig" (without the quotes) and see what IP address (probably the same as the one given above) and MAC address you have. If you have other computers using the same network check them and see what their MAC address is until you find the one with the MAC address above. Then find out why it is using that same IP address.

This issue usually happens on a DHCP network when someone statically assigns an IP address in a DHCP scope and then the DHCP server gives the same IP address out to another machine. Only one machine can use an IP address in the same subnet at the same time.

If you find a machine with this IP address statically assigned, remove it and set the machine up for DHCP. If you have statically assigned this IP address to your Mac, remove it because DHCP will provide one for you automatically.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Whoops, this guy's right. I read the alert window backwards.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

was the blur of the ip address really necessary? :D

10. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Probably not as it looks like it was a local 192.168... address assigned by DHCP. At first glance I thought it was some garbled message in the dialog box. :p

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I have this happen to me sometimes when I'm using my MBP and turn on my Playstation 3 - my PS3 is set to use the same IP address all the time when connected to the router, and sometimes my MBP happens to be using the same IP, leading to that message being displayed.

12. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

yeah me too :D