What does this Time Capsule message mean?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sfscott, Oct 2, 2011.

1. sfscott macrumors member

I installed a new Time Capsule to replace an AEBS.

I ran an initial Time Machine backup using an ethernet cable to speed things up. No issue. I did a couple of more using WiFi. Now I am getting this error message.

time machine.png

What does this mean, and how do I correct?

FWIW I had an external USB drive connected to my AEBS which I used for Time Machine in the past with no real issues. Now have that connected to the Time Capsule as a storage device, but it's not allowing me to delete files nor can I see it in disk utility. Don't know if that is relevant.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Is The Externa

NTFS?

Also, it would appear that the drive is locked (being used by another application) If the drive is NTFS you might need to reformat but you could check a couple of things first:

Using disk utility you can find out if the drive is NTFS. If not, run "Verif disk" on that drive. If that reports ok. run "verify Disk Permission" on the same drive.

Then "Repair permissions on the same drive.

I doubt this will fix it, but its worth a try before you start from scratch.

3. sfscott thread starter macrumors member

nope. not NTFS

Time capsule is right out of the box and the other disk has been used in a Mac-only environment for several years.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Okay

Try the utilities first. Is there a lot of data you need on it?