What does turning on airplane mode when 3G fails indicate about the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xtgirl, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Xtgirl macrumors regular

Obviously, there seems to be some issues with 3G reception...people are turning it off and staying on edge because it becomes annoying.

But, I was just wondering about the airplane mode "fix". I have had times where 3G will just hang when I am trying to surf...can't get a speedtest at all... so I switch on airplane mode and switch it off and my 3G connection works(flies sometimes).

Does that indicate a problem with software? the chip itself? Does that tell us anything about why 3G is sucking at times?? Just wondered and don't know that much about it....

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

To be honest, I've had this problem with other smartphones. Not sure what it could be.

3. pavvento macrumors 6502

I had this problem with my gen 1 iPhone after a few months. Edge would stop working, although it would show me full bars sometimes. I'd flip it into airplane and then back and it would be fine. I took it to an Apple store and they replaced it for me.

4. pj rage macrumors 6502

It indicates a software problem! Anything that is wrong with software that can be fixed by executing software indicates a software problem...

Actually, it indicates, at the least, that it can be fixed with a software change.

5. Xtgirl thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that is at least a little good news...software can be fixed....if they bother to do it:(