what does unlocking an iphone do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macboarder, Dec 12, 2007.

1. macboarder macrumors newbie

I understand that unlocking an iphone allows it to be used with other networks such as verizon, or t mobile, but does it serve any other function?

just wondering...

2. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Besides voiding your warranty, it gets you out of the 2-year agreement with at&t and as you said it lets you use almost any GSM network... o and you loose visual voice mail and any type of "backup" by Apple. That didn't stop me from unlocking mine hehe:D just love it! Hope this helped.

-Victor

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

it doesn't technically let you get out of a 2-year contract with at&t, but it does let you *avoid* getting into a contract with them if unlocking it is the first thing you do. if you unlock it after you activate it with at&t and switch to a t-mobile plan, at&t will still charge you the contract cancellation fee...

and in the u.s., the only other cell carrier you could use with an unlocked iphone is t-mobile - the other carriers (sprint & verizon) use cdma technology, which is not compatible with the iphone's gsm radio...

4. macboarder thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, ok, i was just wondering if it let you add any other specific feature to the phone, because I'm with att right now, and I'm not planning on leaving, but i want to be able to add different apps, can i do that on a "locked" phone?

5. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

you are confusing unlocking and jailbreaking.

Unlocking = use any GSM carrier
    Jailbreaking (hacking) = using 3rd party apps of your choice

6. macboarder thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, ok, my bad, but does jail breaking violate apple's applecare policy for the iphone?

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, you are supposed to be using AT&T.

Jailbreak actually fake activates the phone allowing you to use it (without service) like a PDA. Then you can download apps for it such as the unlock program...

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Jailbreaking, without subsequent SIM-unlocking, doesn't have any impact on your ability to use somebody other than AT&T.

And so far, iPhones that have only been jailbroken (but not SIM-unlocked) have not lost any of their manufacturer-approved functionality as a result of firmware upgrades etc from Apple - although any 3rd-party applications that may have been installed while the phone was jailbroken may be deleted.

However, the act of jailbreaking the phone can be very easily argued to be just as much a violation of Apple's EULA as SIM-unlocking is. That, depending on the validity of the contract in your jurisdiction, may constitute a breach of contract, for which you may lose access to warranty services, and if the contract allows for it, you may be required to pay fines.

(I have in the past been persuaded to consider that jailbreaking, performed in isolation, might actually be a more serious offence than the SIM-unlock process. Circumvention of technological security measures is an offence under the DMCA, independent of any violation of copyright that you may or may not commit following the circumvention. There is a temporary exemption on the books that bypasses this prohibition, if the circumvention is done solely with the intent of obtaining wireless network interoperability. Jailbreaking, except when solely utilized as an intermediate step toward a SIM-unlock, might therefore be considered a violation of the DMCA. That'd be a crime that could land you in jail.)

It has been suggested that it ought to be possible to revert any simply jailbroken (but not SIM-unlocked) iPhone back to its original factory state. So you may be able to safely obscure the fact that it had been modified in the past, thus maintaining access to warranty services. Your mileage may most certainly vary on that point though.

9. retta1223 macrumors newbie

unlocking iphones

i was wondering, does unlocking an iphone mean u can use a pay as u go sim card with another carrier such as t-mobile? do all iphones use simcards?
    if i buy one i want to take it back to australia and use an australian sim card, do u think that will work?

i need any info i can get guys!
    thanks!

10. retta1223 macrumors newbie

i was wondering, does unlocking an iphone mean u can use a pay as u go sim card with another carrier such as t-mobile? do all iphones use simcards?
    if i buy one i want to take it back to australia and use an australian sim card, do u think that will work?

i need any info i can get guys!
    thanks!

11. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

12. kairos macrumors newbie

You can by a magicsim card to unlock and jailbreak it, that will work,
    iPhone 3G - Downloads
    Download the 2.2.1 firmware file from here

Windows users: Quickpwn 2.2.5 Download here

Windows users: iTunes 8.0 Download here

Windows users: .NET Framework version 2.0 Download here

iPhone 3G - Jailbreak 2.2.1

Notes:
    1.Before beginning: You must have iTunes 8 installed and you must be on firmware 2.1, if you are not, be sure to update via iTunes.
    Also make sure to go into the task manager and disable ANYTHING Apple or iTunes related.
    2. WindowsXP user must download the NET Framework version 2.0 (Click to download)
    3. WindowsXP user should be sure" Control Panel " -> " Administrative Tools " -> "Telnet ,messenger ,terminal services" (Be sure three services are turned on)

4.Download Firmware 2.2.1 (3G) (Click to download)

Step 1

Make a folder on your desktop & name it Pwnage.Download the Firmware 2.2.1 & Pwnage tool 2.2.5 & place them in Pwnage folder you just created on your desktop:Unzip/Unrar the QuickPwn2.2.5-2.zip file inside the Pwnage folder.

Step 2

Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone 3G to the computer via USB cable.

Select your iPhone from the list of devices on the left side navigation bar. Now hold down shift while clicking the Restore button.

Navigate to the Pwnage folder you created on your desktop and select the 2.1 firmware ipsw file. Double click the ipsw file or select it and click the Open button to proceed.

Step 3

Once iTunes has finished upgrading your iPhone 3G to the 2.2.1 firmware you may launch QuickPwn 2.2.5 from the Pwnage folder you created on your desktop.

Step 4

Make sure you iPhone 3G is still connected to the computer via USB cable then click the blue arrow to proceed.

Step 5

Click the Browse button to locate your iPhone 3G firmware.

Step 6

QuickPwn will check to verify that the ipsw file is valid. After completetion of the verification, click the blue arrow button to proceed.

Step 7

Selecting(Add Cydia)
    This step allows you select what you’d like installed on your iPhone. You have the ability to select Cydia, Installer, and replace boot logos. Once you have made your selections click the blue arrow to continue on. If you want a full jailbreaking experience, installing Cydia and Installer is highly recommended

Step 8

QuickPwn will now ask you to confirm your iPhone 3G is still connected via USB cable before it continues. Click the blue arrow button to proceed.

Step 9

QuickPwn will now automatically put your iPhone into recovery mode. Once its in recovery mode you will be prompted to: Hold the Home button for 5 seconds, Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds, then release the Power button and continuing holding the Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode.

Step 10

Once QuickPwn detects your iPhone 3G in DFU mode it will begin the jailbreaking process.

Step 11

Once jailbreaking is complete QuickPwn will inform you that it was successfull.
    more information:http://www.magicsim.com/iphone-3g-unlock/downloads-and-Jailbreak.htm

13. espenshadecm macrumors newbie

iphones

imy phone just broke and im tryna get an iphone without payin for internet
    is it true if i buy one off of ebay and unlock / jailbreak it i can get internet as the itouch does for free?

14. espenshadecm macrumors newbie

are you gonna be a dick or are you gonna answer the question

15. aforty macrumors 65816

I didn't know this forum "owed" you an answer.

The iPod Touch doesn't get "free" internet. It uses WiFi which you usually have setup yourself (or leech off a neighbor, or a Starbucks, etc). Yea, if you buy an unlocked phone you can get service from a carrier without a data plan. But you won't be able to use the internet without being on an active WiFi network.

16. espenshadecm macrumors newbie

oh really?
    so ill just have internet whenever im in a wifi connection?
    and ill just have texting and all that **** whenever?

17. aforty macrumors 65816

Yea that's how it works on the iPod Touch and any other "iDevice" that doesn't have a data plan. Texting is not part of the data plan so as long as you have a texting plan you'll be able text whenever you have a cellular connection.

18. espenshadecm macrumors newbie

thanks man

19. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

20. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

21. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

And if you use it on AT$T in the US, they "may" add the internet to your plan and charge you for it, whether you want to pay or not. Some have had it added without their consent as it is stated in all of the contracts fine print that the iPhone usage on their network requires the addition of a data plan.