What does "Usage" mean?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by durangojim, Jun 30, 2015.

1. durangojim macrumors regular

I've got 7.5 hours of standby and 2 hours of usage. I haven't been looking at the watch or interacting with it for 2 hours so I'm trying to figure out what that indicates.

Can anyone else post their standby/usage numbers. I've been getting less than 13 hours of battery life for the past couple of weeks and have no non-stock apps installed.

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

My watch has been off charger today since 7:30 EDT. As of 3:33 EDT, I have the following metrics:

Usage 1:41
    Standby 8:09
    Battery 72%

Today has been relatively light use. I did not use it for a workout, and I have been getting and reading notifications but not that much interaction each time.

3. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

As far I as know "usage" is the amount the watch's screen has come on, or you "used" it directly. Standby is when the screen blacks out and is dormant.

I'm at

Usage: 2hr 7mins
    Standby: 7hr 49mins
    Battery: 78%

4. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Yep, pretty sure it's just any time the screen turns on. Factor in countless glances (not Glances ;)) at your wrist to check something, be it the time, weather, whatever and a decent number of false positives turning the screen on when you didn't mean for it, and the time could rack up like that.

5. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Wrong.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Apple's "usage" means "CPU was not sleeping". So, any process that's doing something in background (even with the screen off) = Apple Usage.

Remember, Apple likes to delight their users (in this case, with inflated numbers).

6. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

Well that's the best explanation I've heard. I knew it had to be something like that!