What does water resistant mean?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joell27, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Joell27 macrumors member

Does water resistant mean you will be able to use the phone in the rain, or with wet hands?

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

If you go into anything that changes the pressure (in atmospheres) around it, water can get in and you're in hell.

Anything else like some drizzle from rain, or an accidental quick drop in not deep water or a puddle, and your changes of no damage drastically increase compared to not iPhone 7 models.

The 6s seems to be pretty ok with dealing with accidental water stuff on it. Better than the 6 and certainly better than the 5.

But the 7 - they went out of their way a lot more to try and make it as water resistant (not proof) as possible to help fight water damage.

[edit] from google;
    "Water-resistant: able to resist the penetration of water to some degree but not entirely. Water-repellent: not easily penetrated by water, especially as a result of being treated for such a purpose with a surface coating. Waterproof: impervious to water."

3. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Yes.
    The iPhone 7 and 7+ can survive for up to 30min at a depth of 3ft.

4. Joell27 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. With Androids you can use the phone while your hands are wet. Will you be Apple to do the same with the iPhone 7?

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I do think it is fair to say you shouldn't trust the specs on that completely. Water and air and dirt and dust, it's always tricky. If you have soaked hands, why not just wipe them off a bit first, it really lowers the risk of accidents. If you drop in the water, don't continue to swim in it, take the phone out, and go for that swim I guess. It's not meant to be under a lot of pressure, like the watch is. But it is a really good start, the standard they mention gives some certainty. But I can't imagine you want to take the phone into a big waterfall and take a 30 minute time lapse thinking there's NO risk of ANY damage.

Anyway, the home button and other things have been redesigned to better resist water. I saw them mention that in the keynote.

6. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Shouldn't be a problem

7. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I've always used my iPhone with wet hands with no issues. With the 7, it *should* be able to tank a quick dunk in the pool when one of your ******* friends shoves you in.

8. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

No need for language, if you have to use that language, they're not really your friends ;)

But yeah, the keynote mentioned (with illustration of someone falling into the pool) that you can take a quick dive by accident and you should be fine. "should" is the part where it gets scary. Let's just say your % of chance to survive the phone has really increased. Who knows how many people actually get unlucky.

9. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

The harsher the language, the better the friends.

I think the 7 has the same waterproofing standard as the old watch. I swim in my watch with no issues. I definitely won't swimming with my phone, but I'll definitely be much less nervous about answering a call in the pool.

10. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I will be nervous, but I won't be nervous about touching the screen and saying, hey im in the pool, call ya back later. Or push the 'go to voicemail', ..

I just don't want to be in the water, risking the phone slipping and making it worse etc.

Water drop damage: comfortable.
    Water dip accident: eeeh comfortable enough.
    Dropping it in the pool and having to find it: probably panic

11. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

Same water resistance rating as Apple Watch series one... I've showered with it on every day since it was released (I wear it for a health care job so I feel better getting all the nasties off of the watch in the shower, then I charge it before bed, repeat). I've also swam with the watch in pools as well as the ocean.

That being said, I stiff feel way less comfortable taking my soon to be jet black IP7 into the water purposely. Same rating - different object - feels like more risk.

Just be patient - soon enough we will have drop tests, water tests, blender tests and all the usual crap on YouTube and people will be complaining hey can't cliff dive with their iPhone in their back pocket. Shame on apple.

I think they are heading towards water proof next time around anyway... Figured it out for the watch - it's just engineering and desire.

Always leave'm wanting more.

12. badazz33 macrumors 6502a

badazz33

im 10000000% positive that there will be Youtube Vidz of guys who is going to test the theory....it is the same with the First Apple Watch, Videos were popping up left and right with people testing the water depth

13. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

One important caveat that's already been noted: AppleCare for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus does not cover any kind of water damage whatsoever - this is not new just to Apple as Samsung had to alter their warranty over the years to say basically the same thing.

I personally find it somewhat reprehensible that a company - any company - uses the IP67/IP68 rating system as a marketing tool telling people their device is water resistant and then if something happens related to water damage they pretty much flat out across the board deny any potential warranty coverage even if the actual damage might be caused by faulty seals in the device to begin with.

It's almost as bad as cellular carriers using the word "unlimited" and never actually standing behind that or finding some way to weasel around it by throttling people to sub-dialup speeds which is what typically happens. Yes technically they haven't turned you completely off for data but that's far from what "unlimited" means which literally by definition means without any limitations whatsoever (which is exactly what throttling is).

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Here's exactly what the iPhone 7's water resistance rating means:

"The "IP" in "IP code" stands for Ingress Protection. IP codes are standards set by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) to measure the "degrees of protection provided by enclosures for electrical equipment."

The first number in the two-digit IP code represents how well the enclosure protects against the ingress of solid objects, from hands and fingers to tiny dust particles.

The second number represents the degree to which the enclosure protects against the ingress of water, from dripping water to full immersion. The water-protection scale runs from 0 (No protection; do not use if it looks like it might rain) to 8 (Protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter; let's go swimming!)."

The IP67 rating for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus means Apple's new phones achieved the highest rating for dust protection and the second-highest rating for water protection.

Given that most, if not all, toilets feature a water depth less than 1 meter, the iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus can, in theory, survive an accidental drop in the toilet. You might even get away with dropping it in the shallow end of a pool.

Apple still makes an important footnote to these claims. Read the fine print and you'll discover that Apple states, "Liquid damage not covered under warranty."
    Taken from CNET

15. Nozuka macrumors 68000

i had some dust on my camera lens (inside) on both the iphone 4 and iphone 5. if this doesn't happen anymore, i'll be very happy.

16. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris