What does wifi iPad lose by not having GPS?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DimeTech, Mar 10, 2011.

1. DimeTech macrumors member

Ok so I have an iPhone 4. Besides obviously the GPS feature in maps, what other apps/functionality will I be losing out on by getting the wifi version? Basically I see it as the iPad being too big to even need GPS, especially since I already have an iPhone 4. Apps like restaurant finders etc can be utilized on the iPhone. Please enlighten me.:)

2. eff pc macrumors regular

Find my iPad is a big one especially because it is free now. Another piece of mind that if you lose or misplace it you can have fairly accurate tracking of it.

3. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

If you have an iPhone, I don't see the GPS being a dealbreaker. I'm selling my iPhone soon and moving to the UK, so I'll probably get the 3G iPad 2 and then just a cheap phone when I get over there.

If I was in your case, I would just get the Wifi and get the iPhone tethering plan and use my iPhone as a hotspot.

4. DimeTech thread starter macrumors member

I feel you on the losing/tracking it. But I'm in the camp where unless I'm a total spacecase, leave my bag somewhere, and someone jacks it, I won't be losing it. It'll probably be used mostly in the house as well. I'm just trying to get the full scope because people seem to want to make this a big deal :D
    PS I totally plan on tethering my iPhone.