Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Since we are on the topic of food here recently, I thought I'd start a thread to see what everyone is eating. My refrigerator and cupboards are empty, and I need to fill them. However, I'd like to steer away from the usual meals of frozen burritos, frozen pizzas, corn dogs, mac and cheese, etc. I also need to steer away from fast food because my wallet is starting to become malnourished as well. I'm sure foods like these can't be that great for me. I need to switch my eating habits to something more healthy. So, any suggestions?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Good for you!!

Feed your brain about healthy eating first - try this one --

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/pyramids.html

Then see if one of the supermarkets in your area is health-oriented enough to include healthy-eating tags on sale items in its weekly flyers or in the aisles, they can help if you're really not tuned into what has nutritional value and is also cheaper than other choices that week.

Shop with a friend and get the benefit of "buy one get one free" when two of the item is too much for one person (like 10 lbs potatoes for the price of 5).

I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables (when I cook them I often steam them just a little bit or stir fry with a minimum of oil). I include whole grains (unsugared cereals, breads) at breakfast and lunch. I rely on local free-range poultry, fresh wild-caught fish, tofu and rice-bean combinations for protein.

If you're not used to cooking from scratch, buy small quantities at first so you don't waste food. After awhile you get used to making good things out of leftovers from the previous night, etc. Like if you roast a chicken, you might make a soup of the bones and a bit of leftover or deliberately reserved meat.

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
My daily diet consists of a good breakfast, ice cream, and popcorn.
Unless I'm at my boyfriend's house for dinner, I don't eat a big dinner meal.
I guess you could say I really don't eat enough, but I eat enough trash to keep me a good healthy looking size.

The best breakfast is definitely an egg. High in protein, low on fats, the calories are nothing to even worry about. Add some cheese and bacon, sausage, or some turkey lunch-meat, and put it on toast or a bagel, and it's amazing. Or you can scramble them with onions and peppers and a meat (if you would like) and put it in a tortilla for a breakfast burrito! They only take about 2 minutes to make, so it's great. Or try some Kashi cereal! I love that stuff. Plus really gets you pooping :)

For a good snack, apples. My new love. Not just the computer anymore! Now I love the actual food. Red apples, green apples, put them in peanut butter or caramel, whatever!

Lunch? I dunno, I never eat lunch because I'm usually at work around lunch time. But I know that canned soups are great, especially when chicken broth, because it's extremely low calorie, and also easy to make!

But for a dinner, you could always do stir fry. You can get the packaged vegetables of course, do some rice or noodles, soy sauce, it's easy and absolutely amazing. Add some meat of course -everything is better with a dead animal!

For dessert, since i"m sure you're interested, stick with ice cream. Just because it tastes SO FREAKING GOOD.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I eat absolutely everything I can get my hands on. (trying to gain weight)

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Well, my breakfasts consist of Dee's Cereal, which is so natural it has to be kept in the freezer. Beyond that I don't eat healthy. So, I guess it's time to start. :D

joekix

macrumors 6502
i'm going through a fat phase right now. i quit smoking for the new year, and my appetite has been crazy. i really got to get a handle on things 'cause it's getting ridiculous, but it's been very delicious at the same time :D.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
in the winter, usually oatmeal for breakfast, or at least a banana. Lunch I skip. For dinner, I'll whip up some concoction of whatever is in my refrigerator at the time. Other than that, I estimate that I eat out about 3 times a week; usually at a vegetarian/Mediterranean type restaurant or some place with an adequate menu of vegetarian dishes.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I start with the typical cup of coffee - sometimes two cups of tea if I feel like it - then breakfast usually mid/late morning of fried eggs, toast, orange juice (THAT is typical).

Lunch is either something leftover and rewarmed, or if I feel adventurous I'll cook something anew. Pancakes or whatever.

Supper is something hearty. In the summer it's got to be grilled with a beer and winter something hot. Soup, chili, etc. with (if I'm lucky) homemade bread.

very typical. And yes, I do get enough fruits and vegetables.

letsgorangers

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
TN
Cereal or oatmeal for breakfast.

Usually peanut butter sandwich for lunch (w/ natural pb!). Fruit (dried and fresh), granola bars, dry cereal, applesauce (no sugar added -- you can get lots of flavors now!), yogurt (stonyfield farm is good if you want organic), etc. for snacks.

Dinner is usually instant and unhealthy, but when I do cook, this is one of my favorite recipes: http://vegweb.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=955a52ba5f4e930ef21cd8f037310e4b&topic=5977.0 I'm so lazy I don't even bother with the lettuce or any of that -- just wrap some up in a whole wheat tortilla and eat!
I tend to dress up plain pasta with artichoke hearts a lot. I also keep frozen veggies around for side dishes so I can feel somewhat healthy.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
in the winter, usually oatmeal for breakfast, or at least a banana. Lunch I skip. For dinner, I'll whip up some concoction of whatever is in my refrigerator at the time. Other than that, I estimate that I eat out about 3 times a week; usually at a vegetarian/Mediterranean type restaurant or some place with an adequate menu of vegetarian dishes.

and I also make an effort to make a vegetarian "Shepherds Pie" (aka Cottage pie) once a week. Not as good without the meat, but getting a crispy mashed potato crust is the key.

I tried this recipe tonight.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
daily:
- grilled chicken breasts (asian, gorgonzola, marinated, serenada, etc.)
- promax protein bars
- organic omega 3 free-range eggs
- organic fat-free cottage cheese
- fresh fruits
- organic brown rice

at least twice a week:
- grilled wild salmon
- tilapia

occasionally:
- fried chicken - dark meat (i know!)
- organic beef top sirloin
- lamb
- tofutti vanilla cuties

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Muesli + soy milk for breakfast.

Ice cream two or three times per day.
Chocolate roll cake whenever I have some in my fridge (ie: until I finish it).

Everything else varies. I'll have pasta or rice, and lots of veggies. I rarely have meat, but I may have a steak tomorrow or something. Today, I'm having my Yakisoba leftovers. :)

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Right now I am on a special diet to lower my triglycerides ... so it's tea plus either an omelet or a corn tortilla w/cheese for breakfast, some beef/fish/chicken plus vegetables and salad for lunch, a yogurt or granola bar in the afternoon, and some vegetables, salad and beans/lentels/peas/chickpeas with some type of meat for dinner. I also eat out once or twice a week, normally sushi or mexican.
Throughout the day I normally drink green tea, at least one cup in the morning and another one in the afternoon. Sometimes I drink coffee late in the afternoon, depending on how late I stayed up the previous night..:rolleyes:

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
For breakfast I would normally have Granola cereal or Organic Muesli.

Then for morning tea or afternoon tea I would have an apple or another piece of fruit, a muesli bar, hot cross bun (only because it's Easter time :p), or cheese and crackers.

For lunch I would eat a salad, chicken or a ham and cheese sandwich, and a peanut butter sandwich once a week only. Always on wholemeal or wholegrain bread too.

Dinner is usually different everyday, but some examples include meat with peas, mushroom and spinach, or pasta.

I try my best to keep unhealthy food to a minimum; I get money to spend at the canteen just in case I have no water left or I forgot my lunch, and sometimes, it can just be tempting! :D

Soundie

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
For breakfast I eat oatmeal and nuts, or a banana. I try to eat most of my carbs early and always start the day with a high-carb meal. As a mid-morning snack I usually eat a slice of wholegrain bread with organic peanut-butter or a fruit. Lunch usually consists of chicken or eggs, Im making a chicken salad today :D For dinner I eat whatever we´r having ( Im 18 so I basicly eat whatever my mom or dad is making). If I am making my own dinner I usually eat an omelette, chicken or fish. In the evning I usually try to eat stuff with healthy fat like nuts and things packed with protein like a tuna salad. I always eat at least 5-7 portions of fruits and veg. every day, and I drink a lot of green tea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.