What does your iPhone 5 look like now?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jamesjingyi, Aug 25, 2013.

1. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

This has probably been posted before, but with the launch of the 5S looming, its become the time for me to gear up with the facts which will/should be the same... What does your iPhone look like now, (nearly) a year on, especially the heavily criticised black ones. Are they in good condition or do they look worse than your 3GS that fell out of the window?

Pictures would be really helpful :D

Thanks

James

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Here's mine. I have some scuffing on three edges but that's due to my own stupidity of dropping the phone on concrete when I was bent down. Everything else has been wear and tear. One chamfered edge has worn the black off because my phone rests in a business card holder on that edge all day.

No scratches on the back or front as I don't lay my phone down on rough surfaces or slide it around. No dents, no dings. There are a few nicks though.

Attached Files:

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All pics taken with my HTC Touch Pro, which my iPhone 5 replaced as my primary phone. Flash was on so don't assume all the white is scuffing.

Attached Files:

4. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Thanks for your reply! Do you feel the iPhone was a less durable phone? Has that put you off buying another one? Would you consider the white model instead?

5. mactmaster macrumors 6502

C'mon guy! photos of a metallic device with the flash turned on?

Anyway, mine looks pretty much new cause I just had it swapped for a non working rear camera.

Before the swap it had specks and some loss of coloration along the chamfered edge. Also had a couple dings from being dropped on asphalt with no case. Rear casing was starting to show very subtle fading as well.

Overall I think it's quite a durable phone. I never dropped my 4 or 4S phones so I never had cracked glass on those but I know many who did. I dropped my iPhone 5 quite a few times some with case and some without and it has help up quite nicely. I didn't go for the AppleCare plan on it either.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

Sorry, not laughing at you. My previous phone was an HTC Touch Pro. Plastic, except for the chrome band. Originally a high end business phone it saw a lot of drops, one from stomach height to sidewalk concrete where it slid on it's face about five feet. The last drop caused a bend in the chrome strip around the LCD.

So, compared to how this phone was by this point my iPhone 5 is in excellent condition. With my stupid mistakes excluded, I'm ok with the wear. It's all been finish issues. No dents or anything like that. The only other phone I have is a 3GS and that, while well taken care of by my sister, has a small crack in the back by the 30-pin port. So, compared to all of this I think my iPhone 5 is holding up well.

But I was never an iPhone 4/4S owner. Some people here swear by them. I can't speak to that because I never liked them enough to want one.

White? No. Not me. I prefer the black, 2001 monolith look. I don't mind the scuffing. My wife on the other hand, I just bought a white iPhone 5 for because she wanted white. Flawless out of the box.

I would definitely buy another black iPhone 5. I'll probably buy the one Apple releases next year when my contract is up.

----------

I had two phones with cameras with which to take pictures. The iPhone 3GS I had doesn't have a flash and the camera stinks. My Touch Pro has a better camera and it was dark. My point was just to provide an overview.

7. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Have had if naked since release day. It's scratched so badly on the edges and a few dents on the edges too.

The back and all the glass is flawless. Haven't got any noticeable scratches on the glass tbh.

Hoping something fails on it soon so I can swap it out lol.

8. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

So the chamfers are the most susceptible to scratching?

----------

Did you use it as usual? Would you mind posting pictures? Would be really helpful!

----------

Did it look older than it was? Just wondering you see because I dont want to be faced with a device that is half a year old but looks older than my 4...

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…the word I would use would be chafing. But yes, in my opinion. It's where the glass meets the metal and on one edge only (the side I mentioned) it's been rubbed to silver.

But that's because it sits in this business card holder and goes in and out of it during the 8-9 hours I spend here at work.

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Ive always chosen to have a bumper on mine, with a cheap set of Carbon Fibre decal antenna strips.

The only marks are where i tired out a metal cleave bumper and the metal volume rocker marked the black on the original rocker.

Soon removed that !

That said i don't really use the bumper to protect the sides, but instead to add grip to keep hold of the slippery sucker !!