What does your town name mean?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Queso, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Saw a similar thread on another forum somewhere out **waves in direction of Internet** there and thought it would be a good idea to do here since we could all learn something new :)

What are the origins of the name of the place where you live? Post the name of the town and where the name comes from. If you live in a big city narrow it down to the area where you live, otherwise we'll end up with 50 explanations of San Francisco, which won't be as much fun.

I'll start. I live in Fitzrovia, a part of London. It's named after Charles Fitzroy (Lord Southampton), who bought the land the area now stands on in the late 18th century and commissioned Robert Adam to build a residential square that bore his name. The area around Fitzroy Square then became known as Fitzrovia over time.

How about where you live?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Newport.

Hmmmm, let's see what could that mean.?..;)

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

You could go into why it's called "New". Where was "Old"?

4. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Woodstock Georgia.
    Obviously named for a bunch of hippies.

(actually I have no idea)

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Here you go:

The name Newport comes from the fact that Caerleon was the 'old port' on the river Usk, but as ships became bigger, they could no longer navigate the river to Caerleon so a new port/dock was built near to where the Riverfront Arts Centre stands today.

The Welsh name for the city, Casnewydd-ar-Wysg (IPA: [kasˈnɛʊɪð ar ˈwɪsk]) means 'New castle-on-Usk' (this is a shortened version of Castell Newydd ar Wysg). This refers to the twelfth-century castle ruins near the city centre. The original Newport Castle was a small Motte-and-bailey castle in the park opposite St. Woolos Cathedral. It was buried in rubble excavated from the railway tunnels that were dug under Stow Hill in the 1840s and no part of it is currently visible.

Newport also has the Latin name Novus Burgus, meaning new borough or new town. It is sometimes labelled Newport-on-Usk on old maps.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

To target in on me, from big to small-

Manchester- hill that looks like a breast., not my words, the words of Wikipedia.

Saddleworth- *shrugs*

Springhead- lots of natural springs around (Waterhead too).

The name of our land apparently means a place that animals were kept before slaughter in some old language. Which is terribly lovely.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Or a small yellow bird

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

my hometown is Winder, Georgia. (where my high school was)

my hometown address is Hoschton, Georgia

and i go to college in Atlanta, Georgia

don't really know what they mean off the top of my head

edit: Atlanta is named after "Atlantic" according to Wiki

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

The name Chicago itself is derived from the Potawatomi word “She ga goy nak”, meaning “place of the skunk” or “place of the onions”. One might translate Chicago simply as “Skunk Town”.

Nice.

10. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

Williamsport, MD

Williamsport - (from Wikipedia) "The community was named after Revolutionary War Gen. Otho Holland Williams."

BTW, if anyone decides to read the Wiki article, i'm *not* one of the households below the poverty line. ;)

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Supposedly my town was a popular stop for travelers and they would often stop and request a sweet wine from the Inn keepers daughter. Hence the name Port Matilda.

The other etymology involved a scheme to build a canal through the region and the town would be a stop. This goes with the names of some other towns, Portage, Lockhaven, Jersey Shore, Williamsport.

As for water, we have a creek which you paddle around in with a kayak, when the water is high.

12. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

A manboob?

13. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

My home town of Simcoe, Ontario (not to be confused with Simcoe County) is named after the first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada John Graves Simcoe who also founded York (now Toronto).

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

15. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

at least you don't live in Regina (ewwwww)

actually, I think an active member does live there, his sig was something like "Regina, the city that rhymes with fun" :D

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Glendale (AZ) - from Wikipedia: Named after Glendale, Isle of Skye, Scotland, it's two words, glen (a narrow secluded valley in the mountains) and dale (an open river valley).

San Diego (CA) (birthplace) - from Anchorman: the Legend of Ron Burgundy: "In German it means a whales vagina. Scholars maintain the translation was lost hundreds of years ago."

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that was shard i believe

18. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Jesse Lee Reno was a Union general during the American Civil War, killed at the Battle of South Mountain. (or so says Wiki). Here's an image of the man. Now it's just a gambling town... sad, really.

Attached Files:

19. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

The origins of Hackney is either Haca's Isle or possibly Hook Island. As yet there is no consensus.

20. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

Göteborg literally means "Castle of Geats", Geats being some kind of Viking population (well not really, but shallow as I am, thats what I believe.

21. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Brixton= "(At) the stone of Beohtsige (brightsige)" I'm none the wiser but it's got something to do with a causeway.Dates from the 11th century at least.

23. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Santa Barbara = Saint Barbara

Now, as to who the heck Saint Barbara was and why my town is named after her, I have no idea.

Edit: thanks Answers.com!

City (pop., 2000: 92,325), southern California, U.S. Located on the Pacific coast, Santa Barbara was named for the patron saint of mariners in 1602, and it became the site of a Spanish military post in 1782. The mission of Santa Barbara was built in 1786; it is the western headquarters of the Franciscan Order and has been in continuous use since its founding. The city developed into a busy port and was incorporated as a city in 1850.

24. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

It really is the City of Trees. It's absolutely gorgeous in Autumn when you're up in the foothills looking down on the Valley and all you see are thousands of differents colors on the trees.

And we STILL don't have an Apple Store! :mad:

25. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Saint Barbara and the Franciscan Mission from which the town took its name :)

So it wasn't named after some rubbish daytime soap opera after all...

EDIT: Ah, I see you've been busy whilst I've been on Wiki :D