What *doesn't* run via BootCamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hakr, Mar 24, 2009.

1. hakr macrumors regular

I've had pretty good luck running just about every Windoze app I have "leftover" from my Windows Vista days on my iMac and Macbook Pro via BootCamp. i run Vista on both Mac machines.

I'm wondering what experiences others have had with Windoze apps that have "bombed out" under BootCamp.

Got any that failed? What are they?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

BootCamp makes your Mac 100% tried and true, no compromises Windows PC. This mean there is *NOTHING* that won't run on it that will run on any other Windows computer.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Eh....

I've heard that AutoCAD still has problems for whatever reason. Never tried it myself.

4. RoninXI macrumors regular

No I have used it, it runs just fine. VMs don't always run CAD well though, depends on 3D settings.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Anything that has specific hardware requirements that aren't / can't be met by the Mac isn't going to work, too, obviously... the Autocad issue seems to arise from some fairly draconian anti-piracy measures which aren't compatible with the way that the Mac disk is set up, right?

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

In Boot Camp, your Mac is a standard Windows PC. It behaves just like a normal PC.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

XP SP3 doesn't seem to run well with Boot Camp despite the update. It froze all too often.

8. RoninXI macrumors regular

So it is just a licensing issue, that does not mean it does not work just that it may take some work to get it registered with Autodesk. I used the 30 day trial when I tried it and had no issues.

As far as SP3 I can't stand it, I see all kinds of people having problems with it, in my experience it seemed to hit laptops more that desktops. Maybe yet another driver issue?

9. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Hardware limitations are the only thing that could prevent you from running something via Boot Camp.

10. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I don't know about AutoCAD, but Inventor and Solidworks work fine.

11. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Those certain types of websites still work, right?

12. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

A very few games are incompatible with boot camp drivers, or used to be. Thats' pretty much it.

13. RoninXI macrumors regular

Not really the case any more, just update them. The videocard companies have better drivers normally than the ones you get from Apple, just install those and you are ok. You will be stuck unable to do things if your hardware is not good enough though, some people complain about the videocards in MacBooks and Minis but that is true with any PC as well.

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I know 4 people who run AutoCAD on their Macs in Bootcamp (XP) and none of them has issues.