What don't you like about Safari?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by eclipse01, Sep 30, 2013.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Like what do other browsers have (IOS or Android) that you wish Safari has or does better?

only thing that bothers me that I wish you could turn off is when you open a link in new tab it goes right to that tab.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can change that in settings.

3. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

wow, didn't know that

guess I have no issues at all :)

4. bransoj macrumors 6502a

The only setting i found is to toggle between opening it in a new tab which Safari swaps to which i think the user doesnt want or to have it so it loads in the same tab you were already in. I get the impression the poster wants it so that it loads the link in a new tab but doesnt switch to it straight away.

**Edit**
    Appears it was that setting!! ;)

5. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I guess it falls under Safari but may be confined to what iOS 7 can do with it on iPads.

On my Touch, I have full screen view pretty much in the browser as the address window is at a minimum view when desired. Not so on my Mini.

The opened tabs are not visible in an index card form on my Mini like it is on my Touch, the latter you can swipe the windows away instead of closing by hitting a smallish "x".

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

iPads have larger screens, so they have actual tabs, just like the browser on your computer. It has always been like this... this is not new to iOS 7???

Why would you want to go to a separate page just to view your tabs like you do on the iPhone when you have the real estate to display a browser just like it is on your computer?

7. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I like everything about Safari on iOS 7 and feel like it has been improved in every way.

8. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I do not like the pages view. Looking at all your sites from a top/steep angle is awful. Chrome app does this much better IMO.

9. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Too much white. I wish I could use the darker private browsing color scheme as the normal color scheme. White might be better if I'm browsing in bright sunlight, but that's like never. iOS6 Safari's top was a just a nice, black status bar, and bottom was a darker gray row of buttons.

Doesn't support immediate toolbar hiding when navigating to a web page. You have to manually scroll a bit to get the top bar to shrink and bottom to fall off. iOS6 Safari respected a programmatic scroll that web devs could use to ensure that a web page's initial view showed as much content as possible.

Still terrible about reloading pages after you've been on another tab or in another app. I understand how RAM works. But it's like they put 0 effort into making this a decent user experience. If you can't cache to "disk" when you need that memory back, at least restore my previous scroll position after you reload the page.

Can't upload PNGs, only JPGs. Though this bug was present in iOS6 Safari too.

10. Greenman85 macrumors regular

I wish there was a button like in ios 6 that you could click to keep everything in fullscreen mode while in landscape. i constantly scroll up and down throughout a website and it's annoying to have the top and bottom bars pop up and disappear constantly.

11. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

you can press the top or bottom of the page to make the menu appear again

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe those posts were more about the opposite of that--that the toolbars/menus don't disappear on their own right away (when a page is loaded), and/or don't stay gone until desired (in landscape mode for example, compared to iOS 6 and the full screen experience in landscape there).

13. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I honestly think Apple went with the best compromise for the toolbars. It feels natural that the portrait and landscape orientations match in function. As soon as you scroll, the toolbars disappear. You can tap top or bottom to get them back. I think what people are annoyed about is the fact that the toolbars appear just from scrolling up. I'm not sure what Apple could do about that because disabling that makes it harder/less natural to go to a different page but it does get tiring when it comes up every time you scroll up. Luckily, you usually don't have scroll up as often as you scroll down.

14. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

POPUPs

I wish you could block pop-up's on certain sites...not all

15. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

If they add it, they will have to add it to the Mac version first. It's amazing that it doesn't exist in the Mac version in the first place.

16. ronjon10 macrumors regular

No lastpass integration is the main thing. I'd like ad blocker support but that isn't a huge thing for me.

17. oldhifi, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Bank popup windows

We use bill pay on line, but I must leave the popup's on so we can use it..

18. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Really my one issue with Safari is (believe it or not) the unified search bar. As annoying as it was on iOS 6 to start typing a search only to realize I was typing in the URL bar, it bugs the crap out of me now having to type the FQDN for the server at work.

19. Jodene =o) macrumors newbie

Jodene =o)

Only thing I don't like is on the iPad with a page loaded, it doesn't show the full URL .... until you click back into the address bar.... And then the page disappears and it shows you your favourites as if it's a new page?

20. allan.nyholm, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Was in the wrong section of the site - thought this applied to OS X Safari. My mistake.

21. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

22. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

One thing I would like to change is to swap Bookmark button and Share button. I'm quite used to using my left thumb to navigate Back, Forward and Bookmarks together while using iPad on horizontal.
    And the current tab should show the page load (the blue one) on the address bar like before.

23. vc73287n macrumors member

vc73287n

One thing that I do not like is that if you view search and then view images, you lose the ability to swipe left and right to view different images, specifically google search. Instead, you have to click each image individually, back, click again, back and so on and so forth. We did have the ability in ios6. Didnt really realize what that feature meant to me :eek:

24. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I've never been able to understand why this is a setting. They could easily display both options when you long press. Crazy!

25. mush10 macrumors regular

I hate that I cannot change the user agent. Either let the 3rd party browsers have full access or at least let me view full websites when I want. I do use Dolphin and Chrome but would rather use Safari.