What don't you like about Safari?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raw8725, Dec 28, 2013.

1. raw8725 macrumors regular

Hi guys, so I'm a long time Chrome user who converted over to Safari. For rendering on my macbook pro its a champ but there are little niggles I still have.

Here's my gripes, what are yours and why?

1. Those pesky YoutTube in-video adverts, Adblock just won't remove them.

2. When highlighting something in a window to search it doesn't open a new tab like Chrome.

3. The extensions are so bad. Seriously bad. I mean that gmail extension is redundant. Complete waste of time.

4. That space above the search bar is just going to waste, why not just make the search bar big and chunky like Chrome?

5. Ability to remove the show sidebar and the show top sites.

6. The Toolbar area is the same size as Chrome in width but the font is just a tad small on my 13 inch macbook pro.

7. I get the Apple "no colours allowed" in the bookmarks and tabs and stuff to prevent distraction from main-page but the grey colour could be a little lighter? The dull grey is still a distraction from the main page itself.

Would love it if Apple allowed us to customise Safari according to how we want. We are individuals with differing tastes.

However I love Safari. I'll mainly use Chrome where I need to use Google apps alongside.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Here's what I don't like about it:

1. It's not Google Chrome
    2. It's not Google Chrome

3. raw8725 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the sarcasm.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No sarcasm. I genuinely love Chrome

5. raw8725 thread starter macrumors regular

May I ask why? What are your dislikes with Safari?

6. allan.nyholm, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I have a few gripes about Safari.

1. Linkification. As in Safari won't see that an URL is posted unless it has a http:// in front of it - Safari won't open these other URL's with just 'macrumors.com' for instance.

2. It's more of an OS X issue but Safari takes first position in all Service-related menu entries - So if you switch browsers and want to use the "Show this Address on a map" for instance - then Safari opens and not Firefox or Google Chrome. That really bugs me. And there's no apparent thing one can do to change this with Automator unless you're really excellent at coding.

3. That there's not more tab-related settings so that I can have bookmarks open in a new background tab if clicked on from the Bookmarks toolbar - without having to resort to the Command key. It feels awkward having to hold that down for more options in Safari.

4. The same goes for search - why can't it just automatically open in a new tab without using the Command key.

5. More search engines without having to resort to third party extensions or hacky add-ons. I know of Omnikey btw and I'm using that.

6. That the Reader functionality doesn't work on all sites. We need an extension like Clearly and not Readability.

7. I forgot this one thing that really should be higher up on my list: There's no way of knowing if you've already bookmarked a site if you're just clicking around sites that has pages that looks like they could need a bookmark. Google Chrome and Firefox are good at giving you an indication of when you already have a certain page in your bookmarks so that you don't end up with two or three bookmarks of the same page. Plus Safari's bookmarks system is a real let down in terms of de-duplicating bookmarks and other things. Google Chrome can't de-duplicate either nor can Firefox but they have good extensions that provide the solution to do so.

8. That I can't use the Tab key to browse through entries in the omnibar like I can with Firefox and Google Chrome.

I used to use the excellent SafariTabConfig SIMBL add-on when I was using older versions of Safari. Safari 6 and SafariTabConfig worked well together - Safari 7 does not cooperate that well with said SIMBL plugin.

I seem to think I have the extension market pinned down - that none has escaped my sight. But I might be wrong.

So that's my gripes so far.

Looking over this list of gripes I really should think of using another browser(I don't know how many times I've switched browsers but come back to Safari for the syncing to my iPhone-choosing this platform was probably a mistake)

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I like Safari's Web Inspector and especially how it can integrate with Mobile Safari.
    Also, for my taste, Chrome looks plain ugly.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

My biggest gripe is that it doesn't sync as well between devices as Chrome does.

9. Bear macrumors G3

No cookie management except manual deletion.

In Firefox I can set the default for Cookies to be kept until they expire or I can set it so they're kept until I quit Firefox. And then I can make exceptions for specific website's cookies to be kept for the session, until they expire or to be totally blocked.

My default is to allow for the session with the cookies for some sites blocked and some sites for their cookies to be kept until they expire.

10. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I tried Safari and didn't care for it. I'll stick with Chrome because it syncs my extensions and bookmarks with all my devices, (Mac, PC's, and Nexus 7). Plus I like the interface better.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OTOH, NOTHING works smoother than Safari's gestures. Am guessing Apple is keeping those private procedure calls to themselves.

12. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Which ones are you referring to? I do not experience any ads in Safari on youtube when using ad-block. No video ads, no pop up ads, nothing.

Hold down cmd when you want to "search with google" and it will open in a new tab. You can create a new shortcut so that it does it automatically without having to hold down cmd but I dislike having the same thing show up twice in the menu.

Not exactly sure what you mean, but one of the reasons I really dislike Chrome now is that they made the search bar so gigantic. The font size increased for no reason and now there is a bunch of useless white space. It looks ridiculous

You could actually remove these in Mountain Lion, I don't know why Apple decided to make them fixed :confused:

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I cannot use Safari simply because Cmd-<Number> doesn't switch to the corresponding tab, but rather loads that numbered bookmark. It is just too annoying for me to bother with it.

A strong second problem I have is the lack of extensions, or rather a central approach to it like FireFox or Chrome have.

Otherwise I think Safari is a slick browser but is hamstrung by some stubborn Apple designs that we all know are unlikely to get changed.

14. randj89 macrumors newbie

randj89

The lack of bookmark management functions

I dislike that I can't sort my bookmarks or manage them as I can on Firefox or Chrome!

15. raw8725 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using Adblock 2.6.17 and using youtube i get adverts before the video starts. What am I not doing here? Please could you help thanks

16. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I am using the same one. Provided you did not mess around with any of the settings it should work. Are you in private mode? Ad-block won't work if you are.

17. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

I like Safari, I USED to love it. Esp "Top Sites" but lately it's been crashing on me. So I did a clean install of my Leopard and so far it has not crashed. I would love it more if it did not crash.

I don't even use Chrome, I tried it once it was ok.
    My backups are Firefox and Opera.

18. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I use folders in the bookmarks bar to keep organized. In Firefox & Chrome, when I click on a Folder A, I can move the cursor to Folder B and have it expand without having to make a second click.

In Safari, once you click on Folder A in the bookmark bar, you have to "un-click" it, then click Folder B to expand it.

It's a small, but extremely annoying lack of attention to detail.

----------

There is a wonderful plugin to fix that. SafariTabSwitching.