What drive is inside my WD My Book?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zw-gator, Sep 26, 2009.

1. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I have a WD 500GB My Book - Essential Edition

Is there anyway to determine what drive is inside the enclosure?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Open it up. Or look at the serial/model number in System Profiler and see what Google can tell you about it.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Most likely a 500GB 3.5" Western Digital Green Edition drive with variable RPM speeds. SATA 3.0Gbps connection.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It would be a western digital drive.

I have about 300 broken western digital mybooks in another office and all of them are western digital drives inside.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is almost certainly the case--they use the cheapest Green ones in the Essential cases because there's no speed advantage to a faster drive when the external interface is USB, and the lower power allows for smaller power supplies.

I actually really like WD's Green series (both my home and work servers use them), but the "variable" RPM claim is apparently marketing crap--they're pretty much fixed at somewhere around 5400RPM, not variable at all. The variable might refer to the fact that each drive spins at a somewhat different speed, as opposed to the same one varying its speed.

Regardless, it isn't of much consequence unless you tear the thing apart to use the drive in another case or as an internal.