what editing application should i learn next

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zyr123, Jun 6, 2012.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

I have been editing for basically 3 years now. I am 17 years and a junior in high school. I plan on and am 98 % sure i will edit video for a living.

The applications i have already mastered or know pretty well are-
    imovie, fce, fc7, fc10.

So is it either advid or premier which one should i learn first?

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Premiere is very similar to FCP7 so I would give Avid a try first.

However, while its nice to be familiar with various platforms, I'd concentrate more on developing your skills in the craft of editing itself. Software is constantly evolving and you can always learn the technical side. But if your skills as an actual editor are lacking then no one will care what programs you know.

3. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

1. :D yes that is defiantly true. Same goes for photography your only as good as your skills.

2. I mostly edit PR type videos, i recently took over my schools video club kushnervideo.com/http://www.youtube.com/user/rkyhsvideochug.

3. i would like to switch to short films and that general area, any ideas of how to get connections.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Keep up with FCPX just in case.

Learn Premiere since a lot of post houses I know are moving to Premiere since Apple screwed the pooch on FCP

Learn Avid as a safety. It's a main NLE for a lot of large post houses doing long-form projects (movies, documentaries, etc). I know for a fact Discovery Channel and National Geographic use Avid.

----------

Avoid film school. Go to a smallish school with a solid broadcast journalism or communications department and get in with the instructors there (if you're lucky like I was, some of them will be former news directors or documentary filmmakers) and just offer to help or work for nothing to gain experience. It'll pay off later...trust me. I got into a senior level documentary production class as a freshman based on the fact that my journalism professor caught me working on a Final Cut project while he was giving a lecture on the history of radio. I thought I was in trouble, but turns out, he asked me to advise the department on how to put together a digital editing lab, and then introduced me to the professor of the documentary class, who later got me a job on a feature film set being shot in the city, which in turn got me a professional editing job on a TV series when I was just a junior in college. Amazing how the people you meet have an impact on your destiny.

5. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Which schools schools do you recommend? the timing is perfect!!!!

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I had my heart set on USC and NYU, but my parents wouldn't pay for it, however they WOULD pay for a state-school. So I ended up at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They have a ***** film program, but their broadcast journalism department is amazing. We won a ton of awards in the years I was there and they just recently one a ton of regional awards and Emmys for their reporting. The documentary filmmaker I worked with had several Emmys of her own and is now in New Zealand doing work for everyone from Discovery to Nat Geo to History, etc. Where are you located?

7. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I live in new jersey. 15 minutes from new york city.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I'm not familiar with schools in that area. However, unless you really shine in the film-making department, I would avoid schools like NYU or Columbia in Chicago. While they are great, I found that I would be a small fish in a big lake versus a big fish in a small pond at a smaller school. I find if you get into a smaller school where your talents attract the attention of key faculty members, you'll be far more successful than if you went to a school where everyone is either as good as or better than you and wants to do the same thing as you. Do some research on Communications departments in varying schools (broadcasting, documentary production, etc) and go from there.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd learn Avid next as it's more likely to be useful to you than PPro.

You don't have any friends that are interested in making shorts that you can collaborate with? Living so close to NY I'm sure there are a ton of people making shorts, music videos, and other 'no-budget' creations. Check out the Film/TV section of Craigslist and Mandy.com.

I agree w/MovieCutter that there's no need to go to a 'big name' film school. My advice is also to find a school where you can get the most hands-on time with gear and where there are a number of post/production facilities nearby so you can work part time and/or intern to get real world experience (and I mean places where they'll actually let you work and not just schlep coffee). IMO there is nothing better than learning from people w/experience and surrounding yourself with people that are better than you are.

I recently left a job because I worked my way up to 'top dog' and ended up being severely bored and frustrated. To me, editing isn't a career with a destination it's a life long journey. I think life really starts getting interesting once you've learned so much that you realize how little you actually know.

Lethal

10. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

i completely agree with you. There is nothing better then being a position to learn.

(great learning experience story) last summer i had a internship at a 2 person company for two weeks, looking back on it that was price less for many reasons. this is one of them. ive been editing video for around 2 years last summer, and had a internship in midtown nyc . Even better i wasn't doing there busy work, i edited a podcast series for them. if u want the link ill post it.

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Not to be nitpicky (well actually yeah), but best to avoid "u" as "you" and "i" as "I" in overall digital conversation. My producers toss resumes when they discover any of that crap, not saying you use it in an interview, but best to avoid it in every day conversation as well. It's just not professional. Just pay attention to grammar and capitalization...it goes a longer way than you think. I know I'm specifically selected by producer to work with because I can type faster than any editors on staff, it's weird but true.

12. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its fine that was a productive use of being niet picky, thank you. I'll take any tips or suggestions from someone who has been in the industry, longer then me and more experienced then me.

13. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

'than'

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree with everything LethalWolfe and MovieCutter say.

Avid has to be your next NLE. It's far different from Premier and FCP, the formers being so similar that the only things separating them are a few quirks here and there.

Avid is still going to be the primary NLE in many post houses, they are the only company that provide an end to end solution . . . . even if it's 'meh' at times.

Skill film school indeed, get into the broadcast/journalism side. My personal opinion about this centers in seeing many film school grads that may have worked on 10 or so short films. That's nice, but my time at my mediocre broadcast journalism school has us working around the clock on deadline driven news packages. It also helped me learn how to tell a story in 2:30 instead of 10 minutes.

I didn't get into making movies my junior year, but I had a job at the Baltimore Sun. Meet people during your travels and matriculation, and then always make yourself available for the professionals you want to be near.

15. julesw macrumors member

julesw

Really depends on what you want to edit

I have been a TV Director in the UK for 11 years, sat with editors
    for 1,000's hours for all my shows .. bbc, mtv, channel 4 never once the editor used FCP or premiere only used Avid

Depends on your country and the type of the work you want to do.

jules

16. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Any chance you could name drop some of the programs? I am a film student in the UK and hopefully looking to get paid positions in the industry in a few years time.

Even if you can't find anyone else go out with your own camera and give yourself some footage.

I did this and then ended up getting my friends involved even though they weren't interested in film. You could go for something narrative i.e. a short film or even a mockumentary or documentary or something more like a montage.

Last summer I just took my camera around with me when I saw my friends and in early september I created this montage which was an interesting exercise in editing and filmmaking.

17. WRP macrumors 6502a

Just by watching the first video you posted yesterday on the youtube link I will tell you are no where near close to mastering anything.

18. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Ah the classic case of "I know what buttons to push! I've mastered the software! I'm an editor!"

19. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm Not really sure on how to receive this criticism.

I was wrong s**** happens. Thank you for waking me up and putting me back in my place.

Thank you for this

20. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

To be honest, I'm not sure what vid WRP is talking about, but any criticism you can get, take it! I didn't get nearly as much criticism and commentary from my superiors learning this stuff as I would have liked.

21. AppLCII macrumors member

AppLCII

Just keep practicing. Your comedic/music video ripoffs are fairly entertaining.

You could actually benefit from taking a short course in television production/ filmmaking techniques. With a decent script and storyboard with which you can plan your shots and timing things will only improve.

What do you make your graphics with?

22. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

You take it and get on with it. Are you telling me that no one has ever said they didn't like your stuff.

You did start the thread with the statement that you had "mastered" various pieces of software. To be honest using words like that does sort of set you up for trouble.

I think the other issue is that you have said that you 98% are going to edit for a living. You can't forget that it's not just up to you. Being the best at your school can me a little or a lot. If there are not many schools near by but a couple of video production companies then it could be great, if there are several schools nearby and there are people better than you at the other schools it could be harder.

The other thing you have done in my opinion is taken the criticism a little too much and therefore skipped out some of the other help that has been given to you along the way.

Take it on the chin, pick yourself back up and create something that you are really proud of that you can show off to people!

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The biggest thing I missed most about graduating from college was a steady supply of critiquers for my work. Once you are in the soup, no one wants to hold your hand or tell you what you could do to improve.

There are times that you even have to take a step back from your own work, and be harsh about evaluating yourself.

And don't hesitate to compare your work to the work of people in the higher ranks. If you want to make short films, then your benchmark should be Sundance, Tribeca, and other films in world renowned festivals.

24. Power Macintosh, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

Power Macintosh macrumors member

Power Macintosh

No offense, but it looks like you're a little slow with learning video editing Applications. I have learned Motion, FCP X, After effects, iMovie and iPhoto in a year. And it all started as a curiosity from thinking what iMovie is and what it could do. Until now, I can't believe a simple curiosity on what iMovie could do gave me knowledge on Studio editing Apps.

Before you go somewhere else, why don't you try experimenting with Motion? You'll see how effects and transitions are made. It's wonderful! You just need creativity and you'll make a stunning video if added with FCP X.

For wonderful color grading experience, try Da Vinci Resolve.

25. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

any other tips or criticism?

I just downloaded the trail of daviance. Ill post picture of my first few color corrections with it.