what else can i do to save battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redgaz26, Jun 20, 2008.

1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I can't wait for the 3g iphone but my present iphone is driving me mad with the battery, right now I have 3hrs 45 usage and I'm in the red, my wi-fi has been off all day my brightness is down just enogh to see the screen, I've never turned bluetooth on ever etc......
    this is my second phone and the first was worse, I don't want to sell this on ebay for the buyer to moan and groan about the battery life.
    Could this be the charger and not the phone???????????
    is this average for everyone else, I read people do'nt have to charge theirs for days, but do they not use it as much as me????????????
    hopefully the 3g phone will be better:confused::confused::confused:

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

3hr45min usage doing what? It seems pretty typical if you were watching a lot of movies and browsing the web.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

That's not normal.
    I usually use my iPhone for about 45 minutes of talk time, an hour of web browsing (I NEVER turn WiFi off), half an hour of music, and send and receive maybe 40 to 50 texts a day. I also have my email set to check every 15 minutes.

At the end of the day, I usually have about 60-70% battery remaining.

4. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Wow!! What magic did Steve Jobs put on your iPhone?

5. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Yeah dude, somethings wrong. I talk for about 2 hours a day, surf for an hour or two on the web. WiFi and Bluetooth are always on, and at the end of the day I'll still have about 70% charge.

Try doing a reset on your phone. About 6 months ago my battery was draining for a day or two, I reset the phone and it's been fine since.

(to reset, hold power and home button both until you see the apple logo, about 10 sec.)

6. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

last week I restored my phone to see if that would make a differance but still the same. I dont watch many videos, on a typical day I browse using edge send a few texts, make a few calls and listen to the ipod.

7. actorkid macrumors 6502

i dont think this is normal.
    i leave wifi and bluetooth off. Today is an easy day and i have 1.5 hours of usage and my battery meter is still full..

on a typical day ill have about 5 hours of use. Mostly web browsing on edge and wifi when available. and i send a LOT of texts. email check every 15 mins.

at the end of the day i still have maybe 90% battery left

id try a hard reset in itunes possibly?

then id take it in or something

8. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I found that having the iPhone check for email every 15 did put a big dent in my battery time, so I switched over to Yahoo mail and took advantage of the push ability and it helped a bunch. I know that's not possible for all email accounts, of course.

The other thing that put a big drain on my phone was to leave Safari opened on an input field. Don't ask me why, but it really drained my battery to the point that it was hot. Someone on these boards suggested that and it helped a bunch. I never would have guessed it.

It does sound like you could have a problem. I'd make an appointment at the Apple store.

9. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I have 3 hours 21 minutes of Usage right now and 15 hours, 28 minutes of standby with more than 50% battery left.

Probably used Safari for about a total of a half hour, made about 20 minutes worth of phone calls and sent about 200 texts.

I have brightness at about 75%, Wifi always on, no bluetooth.

Sounds like your battery is fudged.

10. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I let it go to 10% I had 3hrs 33 mins usage and 21 hrs standby.
    I took my last phone back because of battery life.
    I'm getting a new one so it's not that big of an issue but still may take to the apple store.

11. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I am not a heavy data user, during the week anyway, and I don't talk a lot either, but I will be lucky if I get 5 hours total with Internet and phone. I have a brand new phone, but I am averaging about 4 hours of talk time/Safari.

I didn't want to take my phone in because I can't be assured of getting a brand new replacement, but I am going to take my chances as the battery life is just terrible on this phone.

Jude

12. bbwinkle macrumors member

I don't talk a lot either, although I'd say I do my fare share of safari for 45 minutes and I text way more than I actually should. I also write emails and listen to the ipod a lot. At the end of the day, I still have 50% or more of my battery. I never have bluetooth turned on and wifi is rarely turned on since it's only at my house and I use my macbook at my home.

13. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

well I finally had enough of my crap battery. Just back from the apple store and typing this on my new(refurbed?) iPhone.
    No questions asked!!!!!!!
    think I'll sell this one and buy the 3g!!!!!!!!!

14. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Perhaps it is too soon to tell, but is the battery performance better in this phone than in your old?

Thanks

15. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Better? you bet:D:D:D
    So I brought it home last night and charged it up, been on it alot last night and today and have found a few things.
    battery life seems much better - I had 5 hours and 7 minutes usage before I got the 20% warning. I've been on safari, youtube, email, ipod basically everything trying out the phone.
    call quality seems much better very clear and volume in better aswell.
    also speaker when listening to the ipod is much better.
    christ I may not bother with the 3g:rolleyes::rolleyes:

not:D:D:D:D

16. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

17. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I've been to the Apple Store 3 TIMES already because of the low battery life and today I only had two hours of usage and my iPhone was in the red in about 4 hours.

What should I do? Go back to the Apple Store?

18. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

What happened when you took it back? I take it they did not give you a new one? There's really no way for them to tell in the store if you have a bad battery. I had no problem exchanging mine. Guess it depends on who you see but I would up back and demand a new phone. Can't tell you how happy I am with mine.

19. someguy7014 macrumors member

i was getting adverage 4 hours per day usage with wifi on.
    EQ on music takes up some battery.

I recently restored and jail broke and unlocked the pphone getting rid of all the stupid apps i had on there and i am now getting 7 - 8 usage with 24 hours + standy by.

To me it seems having lots of apps even if they are not being used at all takes up alot of battery life.

20. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I have restored my iPhone many times and it isn't jailbroken and everytime they have replaced my iPhone when I went..but I'm tired of going back to the Apple Store everytime my battery fails.