What else is different about the 3G Iphone then the 3G internet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by salmdino69, Jun 19, 2008.

1. salmdino69 macrumors newbie

What else is different about the 3G Iphone then the 3G internet? I know about the new back of the phone and the Apps Store. I heard that if you are on the home menu then you can tilt the phone and the icons go with it? As in the first one they would stay up and down/

2. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Besides 3G, the new iPhone has GPS, has a flushed headphone jack, has better speaker quality, a plastic back for better phone reception, chrome buttons and it is a bit wider.

The 2.0 software that is pre-loaded on it will also be available to download by the people that have the current gen iPhones. The 2.0 software is where the Apps Store, Push Email and all that other stuff comes in.

If you tilt the phone the home icons do not go with it. I don't think they are going to do that anytime soon, but who knows.

3. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Yeah that slipped my mind.

Wait a minute, did Steve Jobs say that there is an option to turn off/on 3G? I remember seeing the pictures of that option, but don't remember it being mentioned at WWDC.

The better battery won't really affect me though because I will probably have 3G on all the time, sucking up the battery at an unbelievable rate.

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Steve didnt mention it but someone who got to play with it did say that the option is available...yet buried in some menues.

5. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Where does it say that the phone is wider?

6. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I coulda sworn people have said that it is wider. I don't know, some people are saying it isn't thinner, it's wider and more condensed in the middle idk some b.s.

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It doesn't specifically state anywhere that it is. You can look up the current dimensions on apple.com and I don't know where you could look up the old ones.

But it has been referenced here on occasion that it is a bit wider. Some have said that there is non-screen space on the edges (which was claimed to look tacky) which wasn't there before. and same screen size so...

8. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

its new and we all want one. !!!!!!!!!

9. agbot macrumors regular

The original iPhone is 115mm x 61mm x 11.6mm @ 135 grams, the iPhone 3G is 115.5mm x 62.1mm x 12.3mm @ 133 grams, according to engadet:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/sizing-it-up-3g-iphone-vs-the-rest/

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Engadget are also the guys I believe reported on the 3G's on/off switch option saying it was buried in a couple of option menu's... I'm pretty sure it's there because in the Keynote Steve presented the improved battery life with 2G as a better means of comparison to the original iPhone.

11. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

12. kleo macrumors regular

13. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

It doesn't look as cool as the 1st Generation iPhone.

14. yode macrumors 6502

i personally thought the two tone silver black thing was ugly. Maybe if it was all black, but the two tone wasnt working for me

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

They didn't, it has been mentioned.

So if those dimensions are correct, then it is bigger on all sides (although minuscule differences), but lighter in weight. I guess that it probably would have increased the price, but I liked the old back better, even though it was two separate pieces.

16. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

...oh and you get a "Sim Ejector Tool" with the iPhone 3g...almost forgot about that :rolleyes:

17. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Oh, but they take the dock away from you.

Hmm, SIM ejector tool or $30 dock.

I think I will take the SIM tool.

Oh, and it looks like it comes with a much smaller A/C plug adapter.