What else needed to Install SL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Richard1028, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Other than the original disks of course. :)

Will I also need my Leopard disk(s). Will SL only install over a copy of Leopard? This has been asked before but I can't find anything definitive here in the forums.

Relatively new to macs - never upgraded the OS before.

2. durija macrumors 6502

You can't find anything definitive because SL hasn't actually been released yet and Apple hasn't said exactly how the upgrade mechanism will work. They may not even have decided yet. We only know that it will cost 29 USD. But I'm sure you will need at least a working install of 10.5 -or- your original installation disk. Maybe even both?

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I think It'll ask you to pop in your Leopard disc. But we won't know for sure for a while.

4. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok... thanks for the info.

Is this normally how Apple works with upgrades? What do you guys do that went from Tiger to Leopard? Are you required to insert a Tiger install disk first when you do a scratch install?

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

This is the first real upgrade version. In the past, you would go to an Apple Store, buy the new OS, and install it. There are a few options to choose from when installing. The Upgrade option just upgrades the OS and does nothing to the user's files.