What else would you like to use Touch ID for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macigo, Dec 16, 2013.

1. macigo macrumors regular

Currently, we can use the touch ID to unlock the phone and make purchase on iTunes. What should we do next?

2. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Getting into apps like findmyiPhone or to lock certain portions of the phone such as requiring the touch ID to go in settings or notes(so they are secure notes). Also, maybe for answering calls.

3. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Definitely would like to be able to use it to unlock certain apps...

4. macigo thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm.. well you know. I don't know if that's necessary.

You don't want it to become too invasive. What they need to do is this: make it so that we don't have to put the manual password in after a restart. Also, let us use touch Id to sign into iCloud.

But that will probably never happen.

5. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

As mentioned above. To open certain apps for example the camera roll. Also to give us the option to set touch id to whatever app we want.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

LastPass. In fact some way to pair to access link it to my Macs would be nice too. My ThinkPad has a fingerprint reader, so I don't have to type my password at all; just swipe my fingerprint print and it autofills the information I need.

8. macigo thread starter macrumors regular

Keychain mixed with Touch ID!

Genius! Genius! Genius!

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Not sure what is invasive about it. Give me the option to set it for certain apps and not for others. If I want it to be "invasive", let me decide.

I just had a son who, before I know it, will be playing with my phone. There are obviously going to be apps I don't want him messing with, be it on purpose or accident. Being able to lock certain apps, at my discretion, would be a definite plus.

10. macigo thread starter macrumors regular

Well micromanaging is something everyone tries to stay away from. Sounds like something Android might offer though.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Everyone? Huh?

If I want to micromanage, let me micromanage. If I don't, I don't have to.

I see more people (in this thread) asking for this feature than not. And there literally would be no reason not to allow it. For those who wouldn't use it you can... just not use it.

There are also already areas where we can micromanage. From the top of my head, location based services is one of them. If I want to be specific, I can be. If not, I just let the OS take care of it. Imagine a tab, just like location based services, that asks "launch with touch ID authentication?" All of these are set to "off" by default, unless the user decides to change it. It literally could be THAT simple.

12. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Of course, we'll just let Apple do the micromanaging instead by telling us what security we need and where.

13. mac-amis macrumors newbie

It's what they're good at.

14. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

They get it wrong just as often as everyone else.

Why is it not legit for me to want to require touchID when turning off my phone or deleting an app? What technical/design/user experience reason do they have?

15. macamie macrumors newbie

Apple understands security better than most people, and even better than Microsoft. So while people think that they might want to use their fingerprint to secure what has already been secured by locking the phone itself, Apple made it clear that they are not compromising any fingerprint data by doing so, the fingerprint data is not accessible to anyone and never will be.

16. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

I think it would be really nice on my credit cards apps to make it easier for me to log in and make some payments.

17. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I would like to have touch ID or a 4digit passcode(for iPhones without touch ID) for powering down the phone completely. Then when an iPhone is stolen the thief cannot turn it off and u could use findmyiPhone to track it down with the police.

18. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

But you're not giving fingerprint data to any apps. All you'd have to do is create a service that passes a Boolean (yes or no) from TouchID to whatever app or process needs it.

19. zmon macrumors member

+1, also want to lock down certain apps.. One can hope.

20. macamie macrumors newbie

I know it's tempting, because now security is fun. Why would you want to lockdown apps when the phone is already protected by Touch ID?

We don't even have to put a passcode for photos.

21. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

-So that my 18 month old doesn't delete an app when she's playing with my phone

-So I can make my corporate emails more secure

-So a thief can't turn off my phone and render FindMyPhone useless

-So people can feel better about keeping "personal" photos in their camera roll

Etc.

There are all kinds of useful ways TouchID can be implemented across the system. And it shouldn't be that complicated to do.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Initiate perpetual vibrate mode right before I put my phone back in my pocket.

23. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

User profiles.

Oh, right, we don't have those yet.

24. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

They can just turn on airplane mode if you have your lock screen enabled. Hopefully you get to them before your battery dies. Even if everything is going perfect, all the thief has to do is jam the signal or place it in an isolation box. They will start doing that if Apple implements it.

But for lost iPhones etc. I think that's a great idea.