What email program to use....Hmmmm....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clw51, Feb 19, 2010.

1. clw51 macrumors newbie

As a new Mac owner (as of end of next week) I am looking into another email program to use other than the one that comes with a Mac. I need an email program because I use animations in my email. The Mac mail program does not support animated gifs. You can add them, but they don't animate. When you received an animation in Mac mail it doesn't animate.

I may be considered weird because I like to have fun with my email and be creative. I am a graphic art hobbiest and love making sig tags and email stationary. I would give up the stationary, but I love my sig tags and graphics to insert into emails.

My perfect email program would be:
    -One that supported all the usual file formats including animated gifs. I am in animation groups and we share animations through email.

-Has the option to use several different inboxes(smart folders and sub folders) and will file incoming email into the appropriate inbox using message rules or filters. A must as I am a member of several yahoo groups.

-Has a good address book
    -Has email search feature
    -Can be customized (columns, menus, etc)
    -Can block senders, Spam filter, flag messages
    -Spell checker and a good text editor.
    -Allows attachments and inserting graphics
    -Good security
    -And all the other usual email program stuff. LOL! Ability to export/import mail, ect.

-Would be nice to have an email notifier and skins, but not a must.

My PC email program does all this and lots more, but it isn't Mac compatible.

Anyone know of an email program for a Mac that might do all that?
    I tried Thunderbird and there is a huge glitch in the Version 3 right now.
    After receiving certain email...you never know which one causes the glitch, you can't type in the body of any reply or forward you want to email.

If I found a new email program I would be willing to pay for. It doesn't have to be free. Although a free version to try or a demo trial period would be nice.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Connie

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Have you tried these?

http://email.about.com/od/macemailclients/tp/free.htm

They are free. I like Mail but I accept that it can be annoying. Traditional, less integrated applications can be so much better. Of course, you always have the choice of Google's offerings...

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I forgot...

Gyazmail is also good, it's based on Cocoa!

4. clw51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link and yes, I am in the process of looking into some of these.
    I have eliminated Thunderbird, Opera, Mulberry, MailSmith so far. I am in the process of checking out Mozilla SeaMonkey.

I will check out the rest as I can...I am still on a PC.
    I didn't know they made an Outlook Express for a Mac!!

Thanks again!

5. ellenm macrumors member

ellenm

I use Postbox which does cost $39.95. It is like Thunderbird but with more Apple integration. There is a 30 day free trial.

6. clw51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I will check it out!

7. busyme macrumors newbie

animations in emails

Did you find a program that allows the animations to work? I too used to use a lot of animations. I've tried a few programs but am frustrated.

8. clw51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Animations in emails

Sorry it took me so long to answer you. I got my new iMac Monday and have been learning it and setting it up. So far, to answer you questions about animations in emails.....I haven't found one that will show the animation moving in the outgoing email. But once sent it animates fine in the sent folder and for the receiver. The program I am trying now that does this is SeaMonkey.

When I add the animated sig tag in my outgoing email...it only shows the first frame and doesn't animate. However, when I send it to myself, when I receive it, it is animating.

I haven't found any other email program better yet. SeaMonkey also allows you to add backgrounds (colors or images). If you belong to any yahoo groups.....yahoo removes the background before sending it to your group. I have no idea why.

I hope this helps.

9. busyme macrumors newbie

Thanks!

You took less than 7 hours to answer....that's not long! :) Okay, I will give it a try. My Mom needs a new computer but since none of her animations can be sent through Mac Mail she's afraid of getting a Mac. I like my new Mac and think she would like it too. so I was desperately looking for an email program that would allow the animations. I really enjoy using them too so will give SeaMonkey a try. Thanks so much!!