What email providers does Mac Mail NOT recognize?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smythology, May 3, 2010.

1. smythology macrumors newbie

I'm reading that Mac Mail recognizes 30 email providers when you set up a mail account but I'm wondering if anyone could give a short list or individual providers that Mail doesn't recognize when setting up an account for the first time. Thanks

-sm.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just because they don't recognize it doesn't mean you can't use it. If they recognize it, they fill in the server information and such. If it isn't recognized, then you must provide the information. It works either way though.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A list of "don'ts" would be very long! :eek:

So far, none of my providers have been automatically configured.

4. Middling macrumors regular

Apple has proposed this Internet draft which will allow a mail client to determine the correct mail servers for a domain using DNS SRV records.

I've got the relevant records setup on all my domains but, unfortunately, neither Mail.app nor the iPhone Mail app currently support it. However, with Apple behind the push to make this standard you can be sure they will support it in the not too distant future.

Email setup is about to get a whole lot easier. :D

5. smythology thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks but could you guys name one or two? I need them because i'm putting together a how to screen recording on it and i'd like to go through the process myself as I click mail for the first time.

6. Middling macrumors regular

It will setup an @gmail.com address automatically (but not a domain hosted on Google Apps obviously).

All my email goes through my own domains so i don't really know which public providers aren't supported.

You could try Fastmail. I had an account with them that wasn't automatically setup, although i think i set it up in Tiger's version of Mail.app so it may have been included since then. VFEmail is also unlikely to be included.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just put in a garbage domain; "blahblahblah@tatata.com." Or do some research.