What email software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheWalrus, Aug 13, 2009.

1. TheWalrus macrumors newbie

Hi, first post, so go easy on me!

Been tinkering with Macs for a while as my wife uses one and now have one myself and love it, but email is a bit of an issue. I'm having trouble hooking up my Hotmail account but thats less of an issue. The main one is hooking up my website mail to Mac Mail. My wife was using Entourage and it was fine but we wanted to ditch it to make the whole thing streamlined with Mac so we are both trying to use Mac Mail.

Is this the best option or is just another thing that's down to opinion? I am restricted to using webmail for my website mail at the moment as Mac Mail keeps rejecting the password, which I know is correct! Can anyone help?

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I had an email connectivity problem which turned out to be down to how the password was transmitted. Experiment with the options around security for the password (preferences>accounts>advanced), in particular whether or not you use SSL and what type of authentication. My ISP wasn't much help, I eventually tried several combination's until I got one that worked.
    Also, are you typing the password in ? Sometimes cut/paste does not work properly on password fields. Try that first.

3. TheWalrus thread starter macrumors newbie

I never did get this resolved!

My wife can receive email through Macmail but cannot send! This is very inconvenient as she has to use webmail so signatures aren't available etc. Still considering getting the new Entourage but would love to stick with Macmail, however the iMac will not accept a password we know is correct! I also occasionally get asked for a password for my Hotmail but now view that mail through my gmail address so not an issue but mail to and from our website is a problem! Any helpful ideas?

4. stev3n macrumors 6502

I did a quick google search and I found these two links. How to Access Windows Live Hotmail with Mac OS X Mail and Get Windows Live Hotmail in Mail.app . The links are a little old but the settings may still work. I have never heard of IzyMail though which is mentioned in the first link. Unfortunately, I do not have a Hotmail Account to test out. Hope this helps!

5. TheWalrus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply but the isuue is more about viewing emails sent to our website so rather than have to go to webmail we can use Macmail. As it stands Macmail seems to constantly and consistently reject the password for our mail account. I've been down the trail of keychain and all that but it's still the same!

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your settings are misconfigured then. If you have a website and your own domain, check with your service provider on what settings you need to set up e-mail. Mac Mail should be able to function as your mail client just fine.