Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
WTF?! I thought they weren't being sold 'til '08?! I wants me a SMART. *drool*

smart_car.png

I really want a SMART Roadster!
Preferably the Brabus version...

presse_brabus_roadster-coupe_v6_biturbo_04.jpg

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Wouldn't you rather have the Project Kimber version? ;)

I haven't read the link yet but isn't theat the one they're planning to have a manual gear box in?
Yes, I do want one!!!

I don't think the Brabus V6 BiTurbo exists beyond a few prototypes.:(

Devilot - I'm not cubby and cute either so I'll match the car.

and before the **ws come for me I'm not suggesting Devilot is chubby, but she is cute!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
WTF?! I thought they weren't being sold 'til '08?! I wants me a SMART. *drool*

smart_car.png

You're lucky you don't have snow. Around 3-4 years ago, I was driving beside that car on Yonge Street in Toronto (the longest street in the world), near Lawrence Avenue. This means nothing to you, but it's a very very steep hill, so cars go quite slowly up that hill when driving.

That Smart car didn't make it and started sliding backwards. It was icy, but still very very funny watching that little box slide backwards on the icy slope. :p

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Screw the BMW salesman trying to act like hes unbiassed. you own shares in Mobil, dont you? americans cars, are for the most part, ****. its that simple. cant powder-coat that one ladies and gents, they're just plain ****. if you want a real car, go european. its that simple. and jesus christ. an american v8!? do you guys even know how to SPELL technology, much less make use of it??

I've seen a lot of BMWs that are rated for less gas mileage than a late model Camaro Z28 and yet don't even touch it in speed.

Let's compare a 2002 M3. Wow 16 city 22 highway. A Z28 was 18 city/28 highway. (I owned its sister car, a ram air trans am.) I used to smoke M3s all the time, and that car was stock. Real bad gas mileage for real slow speed. Some technology. No wonder the germans lost the wars. :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
A fun-to-drive car is more than just raw speed, at least for me. Going fast in a straight line? Doesn't make me smile.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
buy a sports car, luxury cars are for old farts.

Subaru WRX :)

I just got one, puts a smile on my dial, every time hehe

I love my WRX. For the price of the BMW or Lexus he could get an STi and still have change left.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
TSX = Accord Euro R with a re-skin = good. :)

Although the TSX is (like most of the other cars we're talking about) front wheel drive and as much as I hate BMW's stereotypical image it is one of the few "proper" sports sedans out there with rear wheel drive. But god they're ugly...

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
I've seen a lot of BMWs that are rated for less gas mileage than a late model Camaro Z28 and yet don't even touch it in speed.

Let's compare a 2002 M3. Wow 16 city 22 highway. A Z28 was 18 city/28 highway. (I owned its sister car, a ram air trans am.) I used to smoke M3s all the time, and that car was stock. Real bad gas mileage for real slow speed. Some technology. No wonder the germans lost the wars. :)

ok um where did i say that an m3 has better fuel economy than a camaroi said, a) european cars are better in general, b) american v8's are over-rated and c) american cars in general are low-tech compared to euro models.

oh yeah, and the manufacturers figures dont mean ****, my friend. they are ALWAYS "best possible", not REALISTIC usage. havent we learn that benchmark numbers are nothing compared to real world use.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Audis are glorified Volkswagens. Not saying that's a bad thing, because I absolutely LOVE Audis and do plan on buying an A4 sometime after I graduate college. But if that's your only reasoning against buying a Lexus, then it's a poor one.

I know a few people with Lexus', and to me they are just boring. True they are solid and quiet and reliable, but not inspiring (to each his own). Plus all the gadgets, like self-parking are not all they're cracked up to be:
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=520 :p

The current S4 is sensational...the A4 is OK but a bit heavy and uselessly small in the back - very nice transmission if you get the manual though.

I prefer the A4 Avant - A4 size without the wasted space of a sedan.

I would also consider a Subaru..

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
ok um where did i say that an m3 has better fuel economy than a camaroi said, a) european cars are better in general, b) american v8's are over-rated and c) american cars in general are low-tech compared to euro models.

oh yeah, and the manufacturers figures dont mean ****, my friend. they are ALWAYS "best possible", not REALISTIC usage. havent we learn that benchmark numbers are nothing compared to real world use.

Isn't the newest Corvette meant to be pretty cutting edge for a US car?

Leaf springs and a live rear axle!!:D

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004

My point is that a low-tech American v8 beats a high tech euro v6 and gets better gas mileage. I guess the Euro is really the "low tech" one here.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Yes, I know. Thank you for twisting the knife... :( :eek:

I actually wasn't as impressed with the '07 MCS as I had hoped to be. It's a little bigger, a little heavier and has lost a little edge, at least compared to my '03 MCS which has the super charger pulley reduction, ECU upgrade, cold-air intake, exhaust updgrade and stiffer rear swaybar. But, maybe I'm just fooling myself. :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
DOHC? Turbo instead of supercharger? Pretty sure it's a whole new block, now, too. Shrug. I find that to be mighty interesting compared to my '04 MCS. And I'm sure there are other benefits, but I've purposely avoided reading up more. No need to get unnecessarily bummed. :eek:

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I actually wasn't as impressed with the '07 MCS as I had hoped to be. It's a little bigger, a little heavier and has lost a little edge, at least compared to my '03 MCS which has the super charger pulley reduction, ECU upgrade, cold-air intake, exhaust updgrade and stiffer rear swaybar. But, maybe I'm just fooling myself. :)

Yeah, replacing the supercharger with a turbocharger means it loses some of it's low end acceleration. I love my 06 MCS.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I like the 3, don't get me wrong, but maintenance costs will suck. I'm just going to put that out there. I suspect BMW has better reliability than Audi, but i bet BMW's cost more to fix.

Good Luck!

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
I like the 3, don't get me wrong, but maintenance costs will suck. I'm just going to put that out there. I suspect BMW has better reliability than Audi, but i bet BMW's cost more to fix.

It depends on how long you keep it.

The new A4 with the 2.0 Turbo is pretty quick. I've driven it compared to the BMW 325x and they are pretty even. They drive very different from each other and it really depends on what you like. There probably wont be any major changes in the next 2 years between the two.

The new C class Sport looks sweet - but be prepared to pay a lot more.

One last thing: Audi owned the safety ratings this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.