What entry-level pro camera should i get?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by semiconstructiv, Mar 4, 2008.

1. semiconstructiv macrumors newbie

So, I've been wondering which camera I should get? I'm sorta torn between the GL2 or the XH A1 (both canons) The price of the gl2 is pleasant to my eyes but, how much better is the XH A1? please explain.

2. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Well, just upon quick glance, I would spring for the XH A1. Beign HD, it's more future-proof and you'll get a crisper picture. Also, the reviews on Amazon are in favor of the XH A1. If you can afford it, I would stick with the camera that is still going to be relevant further down the road. Just my opinion. Good luck.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm not sure if it is in your budget range but the Panasonic HVX-200 is a good entry level prosumer camera. P2 media is expensive though.

4. seany916 macrumors 6502

We run A1s and LOVE them. If you're running shorter clips, like for movies, then the HVX might be the better choice. If you're running long takes (like events, weddings), the HVX might not be the best choice.

Budget for audio and tripod.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I have an A1 and I absolutely love it. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to take their video production to the next level.

P-Worm

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Agreed. While the HVX may have a more desirable image overall (i.e. less compressed than HDV), the workflow makes it impossible for anything other than studio filmmaking (unless of course your budget is obscene).

At this point in time, I would not invest in any SD camera aside from the DVX. The GL2 is extremely outdated, and will only last you a year or so. As soon as Blu-ray is finalized as a delivery medium you'll be kicking yourself for settling for an SD cam.

I'd check for yourself: head on over to the DVXUser XH-A1 Forums and watch some of the clips. I'm sure you'll be amazed.

7. ShakeWellProd macrumors member

A1 is really nice, that is what I use. But the Sony Z1U is a good start too, but don't be too particular. It really comes down to how well you know how to use the tool you've been given.

You will get a better picture with the A1 over the G1. I think people are right on here. Don't back peddle. Go HD.

8. semiconstructiv thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome. well i'm convinced. I will be getting the ah x1.

I was on craigslist and i found an offer for 2800 dollars should i get the used one or just go ahead and get a brand new one?

9. seany916 macrumors 6502

For a $600 difference, just get a new one.

If you can't afford an extra $600, reconsider your purchase.