What entry price would you pay for MBP or MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnsy, Jul 14, 2008.

1. johnsy macrumors 6502

As I said in few other posts-

MB- $1000
    MBP- 1500

That is with included Apple care, so if you minus retail Apple care, prices would go like this:
    MB- $751
    MBP $1151

Might be I am stingy here, but that is my fair retail price, because I don't see a point of maxing out credit cards on just another thing. I always pay for things with money I have.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

There are people selling the electronic version of the AppleCare on ebay, it's much cheaper than the retail version. Did you check it out?

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I'd buy the MBP at $1500 even without the Apple Care!:D

4. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't trust ebay. Never bought anything from there.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Don't trust Nigeria. Other than that, it's pretty much okay.

People are buying them at their current price points. Apple has no incentive to drop them.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Each to their own.

Though, I think it depends largely with whom your dealing with, if they're not in your own country
    or the goods ain't coming from your own country, don't buy it - use some common sense,
    only buy from sellers that offer protection and always pay with paypal.
    At least with paypal, if you get ripped off, you can make a claim.

Remember to read the sellers notes, most important.

I use Yahoo Auctions (Japan) -
    though most people there won't ship internationally
    and payment is only via Creditcard.

7. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

Just checked ebay apple care prices- either is unreasonably low (probably a scam) or even more than on amazon. I think it cost nothing to open legit apple care boxes, read a code and seal boxes again and sell the thing twice, so it is easy scam you can do.

amazon has mbp ac for $193
    and for mbp $272

8. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

apparently I'm willing to pay the current retail prices.

macbook at 900 and mbp at 1600 would be nice.

9. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

So back to the post topic, everyone seems OK with current prices?

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You know why it's so low? Often students buy the Applecare with their machines on a educational discount, then they decide to upgrade their system.. thus voiding the warranty, occasionally users like yourselves break the system due to an accident etc.

I've both brought and sold them on ebay... usually for about $120

well, if your really worried about ebay, just keep away!!
    perhaps someone here would sell you theirs via the market place on MR?

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Curious..
    Will you or can you get educational discount?
    Umm.. be buying the product and paying in cash?
    Places like Hong Kong will do you a unofficial discount for cash!!

12. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

interesting, but can you activate the same apple care on 2 computers? Essentially Apple care is just a code, empty box with some useless cd inside is just for eyes and hands, so you wouldn't have a feeling that they sell empty air. So does anyone tried to activate the same apple care code on 2 computers?

13. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I payed like 3k for mine and am absolutely fine with that as I love it sooooo much!! For people that are buying MBP anyway I never really thought that price was a big deal to them as they knew they were getting the best.

14. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

:D:D:D:D

That is a good one! No, I just like anyone else would use plastic, who carries such amounts in cash? It is a plastic world, baby! Credit card would do perfectly, but the difference is that I would pay off it in a day after the bank post charge. So in short it is almost the same as paying cash, but without a hassle carrying it.

Education discount... no I am not in school. Yes, I know, I could ask friends in school for a favor.

15. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

It was in a news that in a few New York and some other states, gas stations charge more if you will pay with a plastic. So yah, they do you a discount for cash.:)

16. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yah, that is why apple prices not falling. Everyone OK on paying more than competition.

17. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Aside from getting educational discounts back when I was still a student, I've never gotten a "deal" on a brand new Mac from an authorized dealer. Apple doesn't seem to have a problem selling Macs, so therefore there's no incentive to discount. Like any successful business, Apple prices their products based on what they believe a consumer would pay.

PCs (in most cases, at least) are cheaper because there is competition. In the PC world, you have 5 or so major (BIG) manufacturers and literally hundreds of others to choose from. There hasn't been a Mac clone since Steve Jobs came back. Apple sells Macs mostly on the virtues of their operating system and their unique, trendy designs.

For these reasons, I don't see Apple lowering their prices any time soon. They don't need to.

18. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems there was one commercial attempt to make apple computer clone- Psystar. However it seems they got sued.

19. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Well, spec-for-spec the non-pro MacBook is pretty competitively priced already. It's just about the only Apple product that really does represent good value for money.

As for the MacBook Pro, I've never met anyone personally that didn't think it was ridiculously overpriced, no matter how much they loved theirs. I love my 17" high-res with all the trimmings, and I bought it without worrying about the money because I have plenty of money---but that doesn't make it any less overpriced.

$1500 maximum for entry-level 15" model.
    $2500 maximum for top-of-the-line 17" model.

20. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Not entirely true. For example, the Mac Pro workstation represents a terrific value in its target market. It's cheaper than even building an 8-core Xeon PC workstation with similar specs and quality by at least a couple hundred dollars and significantly cheaper than buying an equivalent Dell or HP.