what equipment to get for vocal recording?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by macuserjhs, Apr 27, 2011.

1. macuserjhs macrumors regular

Hi,
    I am new to vocal recording and need some advice. For headphones I am thinking about the beats by dre solo hds. For the mic i am looking at the yeti usb mic. I dont know what software to use. Logic pro?thanks in advance.

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

A headphone whose sound signature is as colored and disjointed as the beats by dre is the last thing you want when recording.

3. macuserjhs thread starter macrumors regular

what headphones would you recommend around that price range if not cheaper?

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Get a pair of AKG or Sennheiser closed back headphones (you need closed back, since you don't want the sound in your headphones to leak out and get picked up by the microphone).

The Yeti is a pretty good value microphone, and should do fine.

Is this for spoken stuff? Singing?

GarageBand is fine for simple recording. If you want to do more complicated stuff, take a look at Logic express - it's has most of the functions of Logic Pro, but with a limit on the number of tracks in a project (32 I think, which should be plenty), and it doesn't ship with as many samples and virtual instruments.

5. macuserjhs thread starter macrumors regular

It is for recording my friend. He is creating a mixtape.(he is a hip hop artist)

6. macuserjhs thread starter macrumors regular

And what are the prices for those headphones that you mentioned above?

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The audio techinca M50, shure sr840, akg240, sennheiser hd25-1 and Denon D1001 all come to my mind.

8. macuserjhs thread starter macrumors regular

9. ronnydudek macrumors newbie

A microphone signal output is too low to plug right into your computer.This is where a microphone pre amp comes in,it boosts the gain of the signal to a high enough level to record with your PC.I think a hardware compressor would be of use.Saving you possible processing time on the computer, but I don't think you really need it.I imagine they employ some safety measures like this in broadcast.