What European keyboard is this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InfoTime, Nov 30, 2012.

  1. InfoTime macrumors 6502

    Jul 17, 2002
    Trying to figure out which keyboard this is:


    It's on a 17" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,2 Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz, etc.) It belonged to someone who had residence in Italy and the US. In System Preferences -> Language & Text under "Select input methods to use" there is a checkmark next to "Italian - Pro".

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's an Italian layout. I need to know because I'm getting ready to sell the machine. I need to be clear to buyers about what it is. Also I may need to be willing to sell internationally to get top dollar.

    Apple has an article on how to identify keyboard localizations, but there are so many of them, maybe each country has a slightly different layout?

    If it is in fact an Italian layout then is only useful to Italian users? I know it's a bit of a challenge for a US user to work with mainly because the size and shape of many of the keys are different. And because some symbols are hard to find (like the apostrophe). Maybe the layout is more universal for European languages and just the keycaps are different?

  2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 12, 2012
  3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

    Jan 28, 2009
    Correct, it's Italian. There'd by nothing stopping you just switching to a US keyboard layout and then either using your knowledge of a US keyboard to type that way, or purchasing the keys you need to change and swapping them out. The layout in Europe is not universal, not even close. Most countries have significantly different keyboards.

    Edit: I am from the UK, but I don't think Apple have physically different keyboards across the world any longer, so the US keyboard should be physically identical in terms of the amount of keys and the placement of them.
  4. stuaz macrumors 6502

    Jun 16, 2012
    The layout is the same as a British Keyboard, but the placement of keys is different. E.g to the left of the Z key is different.

    But yes the layout is italian.
  5. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    Are the keys hardcoded? (Basically can you change the layout in System Preferences)

    I have a keyboard that is hardcoded; it means no matter what layout I chose on my computer, it will only type in the layout of the keyboard.
  6. InfoTime thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jul 17, 2002
    Actually the US keyboard is very different. Here's a picture of just about the only keyboard layout I've ever seen:


    When typing on the Italian I'm used to the left Shift key being larger, so I hit the "<" symbol or miss the Enter key because it's bigger too on a US keyboard.

Share This Page