what ever happened to ram from OWC overheating or something like that?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Apr 7, 2008.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

I remember reading a while back that the temps were getting hotter than "normal" so I held off buying ram for a little while to see what was going on with that.

Any advice on the best place to buy another 4gb from?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I bought my 16gb (8x2gb) from www.transintl.com and I checked for ecc or any other kinds of errors and was found 100% error free and my mac pro has been running constantly perfect for the past 2 months now. Also their ram has the same heatsink as apple does or even thicker fins + runs very cool.

3. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, looks like a good deal. ill check it out.
    whats everyone else think?

2gb just isnt cutting it when running logicpro and a bunch of plugins.

4. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

The more RAM you add, the warmer it will get. I've been running 8x 1GB OWC. The temp did jump a tiny bit (Apple RAM too. Matter of fact, the Apple RAM has a higher temp), as expected, though still nowhere near the danger zone, even at full throttle.

Either manufacturer will do the job. I believe Mushkin sells some good ram as well.

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

My room is like a Sauna with 16GB of OWC RAM in my Mac Pro. I am sweating right now as I speak. I think I am gonna move my oscillating fan in here. It's really, really hot in here, and the only machine on in this room is the Mac Pro.

6. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

try smcFanControl yet?

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

hmm.. maybe because you have a higher clocked mac pro than I do?? For me I have 3TB + raptor 10k drive + 16GB TRANSINTL with an 23" ACD running with a 17" mbp next to it + a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4, yamaha v861 HD receiver, scientific atlanta explorer 8300HDC HDDVR, rotel RB-985 poweramp running in a room that's about 14x18 (which isnt that big) and just have the door in this room cracked opened with the AC just blasting at 78 Degrees on auto and its pretty cool in this room and I live in Texas.

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

I have 16GB (8x2GB) from OWC and haven't had any heat issues.

9. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

I purchased a couple 2GB modules for my MP from OWC and have no problems thus far.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

I picked up 8GB (4x2GB) from OWC for a 10GB total on my Mac Pro.

11. nemloc macrumors newbie

According to istat menues my ram is at 61, 60, 50, 46, 53, 52. (A1-4, B1-2)
    Seems like A1&2 are running hottest.

A1, A2, B1, B2 are all 2gb sticks from transintl, and A3, A4 are the 1gb sticks from Apple. Given the memory bus configuration and the fact that I'm still mostly only using 2-4gb of ram for most apps, I'm guessing A1 & A2 are being used the most frequently.

12. chakosticks macrumors member

How many tracks and plug-ins are you running that it's taxing your system? I'm curious because I'll be upgrading to a Mac Pro soon and I want to see what it'll cost me above and beyond the stock system.

13. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

I had 8 tracks, 5 with amplitube plugins. the other 3 had multiple logic plugins. But the real system consumer was the 192khz sample rate.

14. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Could it be the 30" and 23" monitors? I know my machine is not exactly cool tot he touch but the heat wave permeating through the top of my display is enough to probably steam some broccoli. If it's left on long enough there is a heat wave very noticeable if you put your hands above it.

15. overcast macrumors 6502a

IMO 4GB is the sweet spot for OSX without even running specialized applications. I ran 2GB on my mac pro for about a week before I dropped 4 more in.

16. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

I too have 16GB of RAM and the MP puts off some serious heat from the back of the machine. I too think the monitor is making my office warmer as well. Nothing too bad. I'm not sweating. I don't think its a RAM thing at all.

17. MacAtaq macrumors newbie

I got a 16GB kit from MemoryAmerica and the temp is no problem at all.
    If you're still looking for a kit, I suggest MA as I've found their prices to be the lowest.

They ship same day.
    I had a friend order from OWC and they charged his card a week before they actually shipped out his memory :eek: