What Ever Happened To the iPhone Starbucks App?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TXCraig, May 3, 2008.

1. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I was in a Starbucks the other day. Brand new place. They had the new, free, AT&T wireless in the place (along with being a TMobile Hot Spot) and I was waiting for the Starbucks button to show up on my iPhone and it never happened.

What ever happened with that? Did the app just die? I think i remember Steve saying it would rolled out to all Starbucks by mid 2008 as the AT&T WiFi was being rolled out.

Has anyone seen this app work other then in New York, Seattle, or the bay area?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Roll out the wireless first in the Starbucks, then i imagine a concerted switch on. I'd guess it'll be either be on June 9th, when the Apps store comes out, or Late June when OS 2.0 comes out. Free wireless has been seen in Barnes & Noble too - best guess is Jobs is planning an American version of "The Cloud", getting B&N, Starbucks etc in on providing Wireless for iPhones and Touch iPods. Starbucks get the music button app, all able to give access to the App store.

4. touchyphone macrumors regular

No way will the Touch users get free wifi...

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

True - they should pay a nominal fee of say.... $20 dollars each time for such a privilege. Or a piece of cake and something related to a coffee bean. Put it down to financial accounting...

hehe

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

a minor correction, the AppStore.app is part of the 2.0 Firmware release coming in late June and will not be available on June 9th. Unless Apple decides to release FW 2.0 at WWDC.

7. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

I tried bringing this topic up on this thread, but nobody seemed to care. I'll quote again what I wrote:

One person responded saying that Apple probably hadn't made plans or worked out the details yet, but yes, there were very specific plans that Steve Jobs announced, with, as I stated previously, Los Angeles having this feature by February 2008, Chicago by March 2008 and the rest of the US by spring of 2009 if I remember correctly... and yet, nothing except for the original 3 cities launched in 2007.

8. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

What I want to know is when will Starbucks be offering free WiFi to customers that use their Starbucks cards? My local Starbucks now has AT&T, but no sign of how to use it with the Startbucks card. Having free WiFi for iPhone users on AT&T does nothing for me as my iPhone has no phone account right now.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Cheers for the correction.

In terms of Starbucks App - isn't it strange that there is a report from Register Starbucks has offloaded its music tentacle Hear Music?

10. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Found the original press release:

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/pressdesc.asp?id=790