Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neccoloup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Because they significant, aparently. For instance, for whatever reason the rearmost port doesn't function with my Digidesign Mbox 2, however the front does. What are these differences between the ports and why?

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Saw this thread the other day - possibly speed? Apparently they are different. I have used my Sony Reader, 16gb Flash Drive, iPod and iPhone on both ports and everything works fine. Haven't tried any audio stuff for them though...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/917738/

Edit: Also my Wacom Intuos2 Tablet (7 yr old tablet) works fine via USB.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
One of them is most likely internally shared with other devices, such as the iSight. That's the way it was with older MBP models and most likely continues to be the case. That would reduce its available power and bandwidth.

neccoloup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Wow, the port with issues controls the memory card reader, bluetooth AND the keyboard/trackpad. No wonder it sucks for devices like audio interfaces.

djdavidgallant

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Boston, MA
Hasn't one port always been bridged with the onboard devices like the keyboard? With my old macbook (just got a new 13" mbp) I could only use my Serato Scratch Live DJ software and USB interface with one of the 1 USB ports. It was practically documented that the inner USB port could not stream anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.