What exactly can the remote do with your tv?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by profmatt, Oct 31, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm reading that the remote can adjust your tv's volume, but what else can it do? Can it turn your tv on and off. Can it switch the input to the Apple TV? (I only have one HDMI port.)

If I could control the whole thing via the ATV remote that would be an argument in its favour.

2. illitrate23 macrumors 6502

illitrate23

Yep, volume control. I didn't need to do anything either, just worked with my tv immediately. i guess it picks up the tv make/model via the hdmi link and then knows what IR codes to use?
    Also, yes, it'll switch on the AppleTV and your TV at the same time (i think if your tv supports the hdmi-cec protocol). Haven't tried it yet, but i think that'll auto-switch your tv source if your tv is already switched on. that's how it works on my ps4. however, no way to switch the source back to something else. pretty sure it only works one way (as i understand it, that's how hdmi-cec works)

3. Zimmac macrumors newbie

I dont think it uses IR. My TV IR receiver broke a few months ago, yes it has been a pain to walk up and turn it on/off or change the volume. I plug in my ATV4, and whammo it handles volume and power! It must be able to do it through he HDMI channel, something I didn't know was possible!!

4. illitrate23 macrumors 6502

illitrate23

that would explain why it just works as soon as it's plugged into the telly without having to put in any codes to identify it. also didn't realise that volume control was possible via hdmi