What exactly changed in the 15-inch rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bollweevil, May 19, 2015.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

Apple launched new 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro laptops today. I just bought one - it has a significantly better processor and twice the hard drive compared to my current MBP.

But I am curious, how do today's rMBPs compare to the 15-inch rMBPs that were on sale just yesterday? Let's compile a list of changes:

1. They added a Force Touch trackpad.

2. The SSD got twice as fast. (Is this true?)

3. Did the keyboard change? Did they give it the keyboard from the MacBook? I hope the keyboard did not change, because I like the old keyboard.

4. Did the RAM get faster?

5. Did the processors actually change? I know they are the same "generation", but did they change at all?

6. Did the graphics chip change? Did it change just the integrated graphics, or also the discrete graphics on the higher-end model?

I already cannot find the specs for the rMBPs that were just phased out. Please help with this list.

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Keyboard is the same as before.

Ssd is supposedly 2.5x faster. Test was done on the 2.5ghz model.

Ram speed is the same, clocked at 1600mhz same as last year. The reason it's the same is cause CPU did not change.

CPU did not change. It's exactly the same CPU from last year. Not even a pump in speed or generation.

Graphics is the same for the intel iris pro. Though dgpu is now an amd r9 model. And it's only available on te higher end model.

3. leman macrumors 604

In addition to sebseb's post, they also have a bigger battery. And I'd expect them to have a slightly more efficient display.

4. kofman13 macrumors member

On their website it doesnt show any difference between the two 15 inch models, do they both have faster ssd or only the one with the ATI?

5. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

It doesn't say. If you check the MacBook Pro website, in features it says that the 15" has 2.5x ssd. But they used the 2.5ghz model to test this.

6. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You don't know that and none of us will until there is a teardown. Haswell has changed since its introduction. Google it.

7. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

But even if there is, cpu speed, RAM speed And cache is all the same. I highly doubt a change was done.

8. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Given that the clock speeds are unchanged from the mid-2014 models, and that an Apple Store rep told me today that the processors were unchanged, I'd say it's a safe bet. Usually when models are replaced, they come with a clock speed bump, as that's the only way to really tell if something's different. With these new models, the dGPU and SSD are the only significant internal changes, and the force trackpad (haven't seen one in person to check the keyboard) is the only external difference we know about right now.