What exactly do you do with geotagging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Dec 5, 2008.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

A while back, taking photos with geotagging was a big deal ( I think when 2.0 was first introduced?) but after a while I STILL have not found a use for it. I know that if you upload it to flickr it supposingly makes use of it online somehow? I don't even use flickr, so I'm not sure how this geotagging thing actually helps me. Any others have some ideas?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right now, nothing.

Yes yes, there are some programs that use it, as you mentioned. But as you noticed, no one cares.

But it's still a cool feature, and eventually people will make use of it. I imagine a future version of iPhoto (and other photo organizers) will make great use of this. I'm sure you'll be able to bring up a map and scan through your photos by location...kind of like a big personal google-earth of your life.

So yeah, that probably won't come out as a feature until 2010 or 2011. Won't it be great to load that upgrade and see all of your photos for the past 3 or 4 years appear on such a map?

Or how about typing "San Diego" into Spotlight and having your computer show you all the photos you took there, even though you never named, tagged, or key-worded them? Pretty cool.

Trust me, it will be worth it some day. Just not yet.

3. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

if you're on a trip and upload it to flickr (i use AirMe app to do it), you can go to flickr.com/photos/your_username/map and see all your photos on the map. you can also short your photos by location, or put it to google earth via panoramio site.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you go into the photo properties, photoshop if you have windows, and iPhone if you have a Mac (there are other countless imaging software you can use) you can see the coordinates of where the picture was taken, and it is extremely accurate. I've used it a coule times, one time to see where a crash was at that i snapped a picture of, and the other time for a parking ticket in the city, I wanted to see if I actually was in the wrong. It does indeed come in handy.

5. rs13 macrumors member

i think it could play a big part in social networks and your social photo galleries, so it all ready knows when and where the picture was taken so you dont have to mess around saying where pics where taken as it already knows. Im actually looking forward to see where geo tagging goes in the next few years.