What exactly does an airport express do?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cootersgarage6, Jan 25, 2011.

1. cootersgarage6, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Hi, I was looking around on the Apple Website about the Airport Express that you plug into your wall, but it doesn't tell you how it works, and if you need a apple base router to do it.

So could you tell me what I could use this for and what I need for it?

Thanks!!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. cootersgarage6, Jan 25, 2011

cootersgarage6 thread starter Guest

No, it doesn't!!

No, it doesn't tell you WHAT YOU NEED FOR IT. So don't write back if you don't know what you are saying...

4. simsaladimbamba

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have to click the links on the side and it explains what each feature does. Even the link titles explain what it's used for:
    ScreenCap 5.PNG

It also tells you exactly what you need to set it up:

ScreenCap 6.PNG

6. cootersgarage6, Jan 25, 2011

cootersgarage6 thread starter Guest

Sooo?

So.. Does it just basically extends the wireless strength or the room? because they are in every room of my high school.... so basically they make the signal stronger and link all of the wireless apple products together?

I'm really confused, Lol... so please, explain what it really is and why someone would want one, besides AirTunes.... and why do they say you can take it on the go? what would you use it for if it's not your network.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What can we possibly say that isn't already said plainly on Apple's site? It spells it out in plain English. If you click the links and read, from the Overview to the Tech Specs, it says everything that we could say. Do you really need us to read it all for you?

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

It takes a wired connection and makes it wireless, whether sharing one IP address and doing the routing itself (DHCP) or if it's only acting as a wireless access point.

In the future, I'd highly suggest not being so rude in your responses. There are very knowledgeable people on these forums that respond to countless threads every day, and I'm sure they do not appreciate being talked down to. GGJstudios provided a link with more than enough information to answer your question if you were willing to do some reading. Being rude will only make MacRumors members unwilling to help you in the future.

Also, a simple search, whether through Google, the search page in these forums, or better yet MRoogle would have yielded all of the information you required.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

People that travel a lot use them in hotels that only have wired Internet in the rooms to make a wireless network.

10. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

Like aristobrat said, some hotels only have wired connections, but my ipad or MacBook air doesn't have an ethernet port. Airport express can let me make that connection wirelessly.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I use my Airport Express to port music from my Mac to my stereo located in another room. You can port through iTunes, AirPlay, or using AirFoil. Something I learned the other day which I had no idea existed was that the minjack on the Airport Express not only outputs an analog signal but also has a digital optical output--and you can get a optical minijack to Optical Toslink cable to output a digital audio signal. Useful but probably not so much anymore since you can also do this with Apple TV--but still--the Airport Express is a versatile device.

12. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

It extends a wireless network, it makes a new network, it allows you to play music to a set of powered speakers, it allows you to have a USB printer be wireless. even many of the above at once. pretty cool little box.

13. ghoti macrumors member

14. Dizzler macrumors regular

This is a good discussion so stop the badmouthing. There are a lot of lurkers in these forums who get a lot out of reading things that may seem simple to your geeks.

I for one would like to know about the Airport Express too: can I plug it into my combo modem/router from AT&T. This modem/router does not reach throughout my house because of structural obstructions. It has a few ethernet ports on the back so I guess I can plug into it, but I'm not sure how this all works together. Do I have to buy other Airport Express units to place in other rooms of the house?

Sorry if this is too basic.

15. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm a former mac genius and part of our training is to explain things in a simple way. A few here have said to be Polite... I agree, cause it's nice and a good following here and high respect is something earned. People humble themselves to asking questions and now you want to quash it just because you DO know... Wasted energy/ calories burnt just to show up an interested mac person

16. GGJstudios, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reading the basics of how AirPort Express works and what it does from Apple's own website is not any more complex than us repeating the same information here. All we can tell you is exactly what Apple has already said in very simple terms. If you take the time to read what they say about the AirPort Express, you'll understand it just as well, if not better, than reading posts by forum members who simply say the same thing.

I don't mind at all helping people who actually need help. However, when someone displays that they don't care enough to take some initiative and read the information I post links to, it makes me not to want to waste my time trying to spoon-feed them information that they can easily get for themselves. I took the time to post links and images to make it crystal clear where the simple answers to the questions can be found. I'm not going to read it all for anyone who won't read it for themselves.
    Look at the 2nd image in the 5th post in this thread.
    Extending the range of your wireless network
    AirPort Express frequently asked questions (FAQ)
    http://www.apple.com/support/airport/#
    Politeness goes both ways. How polite would it be if someone came to a Genius Bar and asked for answers to questions, then turned their back to the Genius and plugged their ears while the Genius was answering? That's the equivalent of someone asking for help and refusing to read the linked answers that have been provided. There's only so much we can do. Ultimately, you have to click and read to absorb information. We can't force it into anyone's brain. Also remember, we're not Apple employees who are paid for our time and help. We're all volunteers who offer help for free. A little courtesy isn't too much to ask.

17. Dizzler macrumors regular

Everyone has a different learning style. Some learn by listening, some learn by doing, some learn by reading and looking. Merely going to an Apple website, does not guarantee that that person is going to understand it all. So keep those questions coming, folks. We all get something out of it.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, you can't learn by listening or doing on this forum, so that leaves reading, which is the same way you learn on Apple's site. It's not about different learning styles. You can read the answers posted here, or you can read the answers posted on Apple's site. It's still reading.
    There's no guarantee that a person is going to understand it from reading a forum post, either. It's better to get it from "the horse's mouth", so you know you're reading facts and not some poster's opinion.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

We use a Mac Mini hooked up to a TV as our stereo/DVD player. We use the Mini as jukebox, since we have all our music stored here. This room is not near the living/dining room, so we stream music from the Mini to the Airport Express that is hooked up to a pair of powered speakers. We have set of playlists set up for dinner parties, etc.

We also stream internet radio from the Mini to the AE speakers.

Sometimes we unplug it and take it with us when we head off to Victoria. The hotel we like to stay at has a very fast network connection via ethernet but flaky WiFi. So we set up a wireless network for our two laptops, 'cause lord knows we can't possibly take a couple days off and not stay connected -sigh. The AE allows you "save" a setting so changing from extending to creating a network is not too bad. Except that I keep forgetting the password and have to reset the begger.

Buy it from the refurbished store and save some money, 'cause really - what could possibly go wrong with the thing?

It's a travelling router, imo.

It's one of those things that Apple makes that makes you realize how much they sometimes get things exactly right.

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

Generally speaking, when it comes to extending the range of wireless networks, Airports/Time Capsules can only extend networks where another Airport/Time Capsule is the main router. There are some exceptions to that rule if you're super geeky and want to put the leg work into it.

In your case, since your AT&T modem sounds like it's also your wireless router, it's not likely you can use an Airport to wirelessly extend the AT&T's router wireless network.

One option would be to disable the wireless function of your AT&T router and use an Airport/TC (plugged in via ethernet to your AT&T router) to create a new wireless network. You should then be able to use another Airport/TC to wirelessly extend the range of the network in your house. Just put it in a location where it can pick up the first Airport/TC, and it'll listen and rebroadcast everything, providing coverage further throughout your house. There are come caveats (the overall speed of your wireless network decreases for every device you use to extend it), but that feature can be really handy.

21. Dizzler macrumors regular

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you, aristobrat. Very good explanation.

22. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Dude, someone makes a post trying to help you and this is how you act? Go back to popping your pimples and quit trolling here.

23. jsoto macrumors regular

jsoto

Well said GGJStudios. You were more than helpful! The rest of us do appreciate your time & helpful responses! Have a beer & forget about this one. You are a highly respected forum member.

24. snberk103 macrumors 603

At the risk of bending a forum...

This.

Thanks GGJstudios. You've helped me out in the past. I hope I remembered to thank you.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

snberk103, I appreciate your thanks and the comments by jsoto. However, I never expect anyone to say "thank you" for help I offer. My issue is not with you, but with those who bite my head off when I try to help them, either because they don't like the fact that I post a link rather than re-typing answers or because I don't spoon-feed them only what they want to hear.

Some take offense that I don't answer every question with a hand-typed paragraph or two, composed especially for that poster. For one, my carpal tunnel syndrome is bad enough, having been plunking on computer keyboards for almost 40 years. But there is a much more significant reason why I answer posts the way I do:

This forum, and the internet in general, is replete with misinformation and false statements. Anyone these days can have a blog or website where they can say whatever they want, factual or not. When it comes to finding technical answers, I prefer to read from reliable, reputable sources.

Since very few of us in this forum really know each other, I don't automatically consider a forum post to be a reputable source, unless I've read enough from a poster to know that they are knowledgeable and experienced. While there are always exceptions, I generally tend to find that forum members who have been around for a while and have a higher number of posts are more trustworthy sources than someone who just joined in the past few months or have only a few dozen posts. It's true that some of us join this forum with a lot of knowledge and experience with computers, but there's no way for anyone to know that until it's proven by a pattern of accuracy in posting.

That's why I frequently prefer to post links to Apple's site or other known resources that have a higher probability of being accurate, rather than have forum members take my word for something. It not only answers the question, but it also provides a source for finding answers to future questions. I'd much rather have someone tell me about the Apple support site that I can search myself for answers, rather than leave me dependent solely on posting and hoping that the answers in the forum I get are accurate.

Finally, I don't want a poster to think that my opinion or solution is the only one that matters, because it isn't, so frequently I will respond to a question with links to other threads on the topic, so the reader can see opinions or solutions offered by many members, not just me. Some take offense to that, as well. I've learned that no matter what you do, you're not going to please all the people, all the time.

The bottom line is this: if anyone asks for help and I respond, either use what I offer or ignore it. Either is fine. Just don't criticize me because my method of answering doesn't meet your specific qualifications for a "warm and fuzzy" response.