Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I keep going back and forth about getting a iPhone 6plus and a Note4, I really do not like all the tracking that Google does, and I just came across this app:
https://disconnect.me/mobile/disconnect-mobile

it claims to stop "Reduce the risk of identity theft by blocking malicious tracking
Block malvertising threats disguised as legitimate ads
Protection from thousands of suspected malware sites"

and it also claims that it was removed from Play store because it blocks Google from tracking and advertising.

1. What does that mean? By using this, app, what can Google no longer do?
2. How will this affect day-to-day operations of my Note3?

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
I suspect it's only marketing. There is no source.

If you wish to get rid of Google spyware and tracking, you need to install alternative firmware (open source).

The most popular is http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

Don't install Google Play, use https://f-droid.org/

F-Droid is an installable catalogue of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications for the Android platform. The client makes it easy to browse, install, and keep track of updates on your device.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What makes you think Apple tracks you any the less ? Just because your unaware if it happening, doesn't mean its not happening.

Likewise, in Android simply
1) turn-off location history
2) turn-off advertising
3) turn-off web history

You can do this without any app.

You are then pretty much as untracked as you are going to be.

Reactions: mpavilion

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
What makes you think Apple tracks you any the less ? Just because your unaware if it happening, doesn't mean its not happening.

Likewise, in Android simply
1) turn-off location history
2) turn-off advertising
3) turn-off web history

You can do this without any app.

You are then pretty much as untracked as you are going to be.

you are really naive.

4) turn-off NSA backdoor

:)

----------

Very cool. Does this completely bypass Google?

I don't know. At least the best option available on "market"

Never trust Google!

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Disconnect blocks 3rd party trackers that are present on many websites. These trackers follow what you do and corroborate it with either your IP address, browser fingerprint, or both. Many will set a cookie in your browser that acts like a unique ID tag. When you visit another website that has the same trackers on it, they look for that cookie. This links your activity between websites and is used to create advertising profiles for you.

Disconnect will block these 3rd party trackers from working. However, the site you visit can track you all it wants to; Disconnect can't stop this. Google will always track your search history on Googe, Youtube, and other sites by them. The site just won't be able to track you across other websites that it does not own, while 3rd party trackers can track you on any website where they are present.

Since Google retains a lot of control over your device, it is also possible that you are being tracked using code that runs locally on your device. Disconnect can't stop this either.

If you want to avoid search engine tracking, use DuckDuckGo or Startpage/Ixquick, neither of which tracks you, for your search engine in combination with Disconnect. This doesn't solve the problem of websites you visit tracking your activity on them, nor does it solve the issue of Google essentially owning your device, but it will cut down on your exposure to advertising trackers. Running a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod or any other is another good way to reduce your exposure to Google.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Hilarious to see people this paranoid on the internet, they also probably have facebook and do numerous other things that would be hypocritical

Reactions: kdarling
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.