What exactly does the new antenna design mean?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dloreski, Oct 11, 2011.

1. dloreski macrumors member

Does this new design mean less dropped calls and better reception or just better for data?
    I'm on AT&T with my BB and their service works great for me.
    My neighbor had his BB on AT&T and it also worked great. When he switched to iphone 4 about 6 months ago, I notice the call quality isn't as good and he has numerous dropped calls compared to the BB.
    Thinking of switching, but the dropped calls and call quality make me a bit nervous.

2. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Good question, I believe it's allows for faster data. But dont quote me on that. Someone else would have to answer

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

perhaps it means, you can squeeze the crap out of it and it's not going to drop signal?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From what I have read so far, the new 4S has two external antennas and each can both send and receive. The phone will determine which of the two antenna has the best signal and use that antenna. So if you are gripping one side of the phone, the phone would know to use the antenna on the opposite side and have better reception. It is called a dual diversity antenna.

5. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

6. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Wait, how can you grip only one side of the phone? :confused:

When holding, my hand always touches both sides (in other words, both antennas). So how will that work? I'm kinda confused.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think it just means it will select the antenna that has the highest signal at the moment. It also can use one antenna for receiving and one for transmitting which can increase speeds and signal retention, I think.

8. Virance macrumors regular

It's top and bottom, not left and right.

9. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Gotcha. I didn't know about that bit. Makes sense now.