What exactly does this mean...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agentphish, Jul 21, 2008.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

So my friend bought a refurb/remanufactured powerbook about a year and a half ago from an online mac retailer who deals in new and used Macs. I had advised against this but she did it anyways.

So here I sit a year and a half later and I have her powerbook in my hands and it has the lower memory slot problem. No RAM is detected in the lower slot at all.

So I remembered there was a recall on the slots and a program initiated to fix it. I looked in to it, and her serial # is out of range, it's just before the range of effected serials...however I did just find the statement below on the FAQ page for the recall.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what an apple certified tech will tell me (according to that statement below) that I can't find out by looking at the serial of the computer. Is there a chance there's a # I can look at on the logic board that will tell me if it's covered before I hike an hour to the Apple store and someone there tells me "your serial isn't within range, we can't help you"

Thanks!

I have a remanufactured PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz) that fits the description noted. How can I determine whether my PowerBook G4 qualifies for the program?
    If your PowerBook G4 is one of the model listed and exhibits one or more of the symptoms above, please call your local Apple contact center, bring your PowerBook G4 to the Mac Genius Bar at your local Apple Retail store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP). An Apple technical support representative or an AASP will examine your computer to determine if the component issue identified for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz) Memory Slot Repair Extension Program affects your computer and, if so, arrange for the repair.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Is it a 15" PowerBook? Is its processor 1.5 or 1.67 GHz? If so, it qualifies. Either that, or on the Apple.com/support page, enter the serial number and it should give you information relevant to this question.

TEG

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

That's all fine and good, but in the FAQ about the program, it lists the serial #.
    This serial # falls out of range. As I said, the serial # is before the range listed.

But then they have that statement I pasted about refurb models, which this is, so maybe it is eligible, but I'm triyng to figure out what they are going to look at to tell if it is or not, aside from the serial #.

4. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

I would call them. Either the Apple Store or their tech support line.