Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
My iTunes Match subscription is up for renewal soon. I'm not actually that clear what I'm paying for and what the consequences are if I don't renew.

Can you help?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
whatever music you downloaded is yours to keep forever. the rights won't expire

use this time to try and match all your older purchases to itunes store copies. once matched delete the old ones
and download the cloud copies

use this time to upgrade your music to itunes store copies and then download the cloud copies

im not sure if you can access the music afterwards. so download everything

what you want to do is make a smart playlist , this one will find all the music with less then 256
bitrate is less then 256
media kind is music
iCloud status is matched

you delete all the songs in that playlist and then download all of them from iCloud match

with store bought music you make a smart playlist like
bitrate is less then 256
media kind is music
iCloud status is matched
iCloud status is purchased

im not sure about the play list but what you want to do is find all the "m4p" files that you bought from itunes
and then trade those in for itunes plus files.

back up everything
do this stuff before cancelling itunes match
[doublepost=1461713051][/doublepost]if you cancel apple music , then whatever music you download cant be played anymore

Reactions: profmjh

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
whatever music you downloaded is yours to keep forever. the rights won't expire

use this time to try and match all your older purchases to itunes store copies. once matched delete the old ones
and download the cloud copies

use this time to upgrade your music to itunes store copies and then download the cloud copies

im not sure if you can access the music afterwards. so download everything

what you want to do is make a smart playlist , this one will find all the music with less then 256
bitrate is less then 256
media kind is music
iCloud status is matched

you delete all the songs in that playlist and then download all of them from iCloud match

with store bought music you make a smart playlist like
bitrate is less then 256
media kind is music
iCloud status is matched
iCloud status is purchased

im not sure about the play list but what you want to do is find all the "m4p" files that you bought from itunes
and then trade those in for itunes plus files.

back up everything
do this stuff before cancelling itunes match
[doublepost=1461713051][/doublepost]if you cancel apple music , then whatever music you download cant be played anymore

That's super helpful. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.